Winston & Strawn LLP is an international law firm with more than 900 attorneys among 16 offices in Brussels; Charlotte, NC; Chicago; Dallas; Dubai; Hong Kong; Houston; London; Los Angeles; Moscow; New York; Paris; San Francisco; Shanghai; Silicon Valley; and Washington, DC.
Winston was founded in Chicago in 1853 by Frederick H. Winston, who was joined by the firm’s other name partner, Silas H. Strawn, in 1894. Winston has built its reputation on the quality and character of its lawyers, past and present, many of whom are recognized leaders in the American legal community. The firm’s history of more than 160 years is a chronicle of individuals and events that have helped shape it and create the strong foundation on which it continues to build. In the past two decades, a series of mergers, office openings and lateral hires has resulted in a global law firm with 18 offices across the United States, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. The legal profession continues to consolidate globally, and Winston will continue to expand its global presence so it can serve its clients wherever it is needed.
The firm serves the needs of enterprises of all types and sizes, in both the private and public sectors. The exceptional depth and geographic reach of its resources enable Winston to manage virtually every type of business-related legal issue.
The firm understands that clients look for value beyond just legal expertise. With this in mind, Winston works hard to understand the level of involvement its clients require of it. The firm’s lawyers take time to learn about clients’ organizations and their business objectives. Significant emphasis is placed on technology and teamwork in an effort to respond quickly and effectively to clients’ needs.
Winston remains committed to the traditions of client service, professional development and community involvement instilled by its leaders of the past, while embracing the innovations driving the legal profession in the 21st century.
Top Listed National Awards
- Top Listed in the United States in Banking and Finance Law with 15 lawyers
Top Listed State Awards
- Top Listed in Illinois with 32 lawyers
- Top Listed in Illinois in Banking and Finance Law with 5 lawyers
Top Listed City Awards
- Top Listed in Chicago with 32 lawyers
- Top Listed in Chicago in Banking and Finance Law with 5 lawyers
- Global Arbitration Review GAR 100
- "2013 Go-To Law Firm for the Top 500 Companies" (ALM)
- The Recorder Top Employment Law Firms
- Law360 White Collar Practice Groups of the Year
- National Law Journal IP Hot List
- Financial Times US Innovative Lawyers
- 100 Percent Rating in Human Rights Campaign's 2013 Corporate Equality Index
- MCCA Diversity Innovator Award
- Transformative Leadership Award - Firm Wide Policies
- 2012 Equality Illinois Law Firm Survey
- Advertising, Marketing & Entertainment Law Practice Named Media and Entertainment Group of the Year
- 4 Winston attorneys named "Litigator of the Week" by American Lawyer in 2012 – the most of any firm
- National Law Journal IP Hot List 2013
- Chicago Litigation Department of the Year - IP
- Hatch-Waxman (Generic) Litigation Team of the Year - LMG Life Sciences
- 4th in Patent Litigation Survey - Corporate Counsel
- "High Yield Deal of the Year" - IFLR 2013 Europe Awards
- ALM Arbitration Scorecard - Biggest Defense Wins & One of Top Firms
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association 2016 George B. Vashon Innovator Award
- Chambers USA 2016 finalist in the “Most Pioneering Firm for Female Lawyers”
- Recognized as a Leading Law Firm by Equality Illinois for LGBT Inclusion
- Named to Law360 “Litigation Powerhouses” List
- Law360 Sports Group of the Year
- Law360 Food & Beverage Group of the Year
- David Dahlquist Named American Lawyer “Litigator of the Week”
- Shargel & Webb Named to Benchmark Litigation’s Top Trial Lawyers
- Texas Lawyer''s Litigation Department of the Year: IP
- Winston Deal Wins M&A Advisor International M&A Award
- Winston Attorneys Recognized as Litigation Stars in Benchmark Litigation
- National Law Journal's Chicago Litigation Department of the Year by
- Jeffrey Kessler Named American Lawyer “Litigator of the Week”
- Three Spots in National Law Journal’s Top 100 Verdicts of 2015
- Finalist for American Lawyer's 2014 IP Litigation Department of the Year
- Ranked as 4th Busiest Patent Litigation Firm
- Winston Receives Perfect Score on 2016 Corporate Equality Index
- Abbott Laboratories
- Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Dell Inc.
- Discover Financial Services
- Google Inc.
- JP Morgan
- Monsanto Co.
- Motorola Mobility LLC
- Motorola Solutions, Inc.
- National Football League Players Association
- Omnicare, Inc.
- Panasonic Corporation
- Philip Morris USA, Inc.
- Tate & Lyle
- The Charles Schwab Corporation
- Verizon Wireless and Verizon Communications
- Wells Fargo Bank
Corporate & Transactional
Labor & Employment
(312) 558 -7508
Trusts & Estates
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
Maritime & Admiralty
(312) 558 -5736
Firm Practice Areas
- Advertising Law
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Banking and Finance Law
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Corporate Law
- Energy Law
- Environmental Law
- Health Care Law
- Insurance Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Public Law
- Real Estate Law
- Regulatory Practice
- Sports Law
- Tax Law
- Trusts and Estates