FIRM OVERVIEW Starn O’Toole Marcus & Fisher is a leader among Hawaii’s real estate and business law firms, recognized for its expertise in real estate law, commercial transactions and complex commercial litigation in Hawaii, the US mainland and internationally.
Firm transactional and litigation attorneys often join forces in complex commercial matters that require both business law and litigation experience. The firm’s intellectual power and mental strength and toughness generate winning strategies, strong negotiations and innovative settlements for clients. Above all, the firm’s attorneys have a passion for excellence and responsive client service, earning the firm an international reputation for extraordinary client results.
Starn O’Toole Marcus & Fisher has earned Martindale-Hubbell’s® highest AV Preeminent® rating, given by our legal peers for achieving the highest standards of professional ethics, excellence and legal ability. Our litigation attorneys and transactional team have been selected to the “Top 25”, Hawaii Super Lawyers® list in the practice areas of business litigation and real estate law. Firm attorneys have been recognized as Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyers of the Year” in Honolulu, in both transactional and litigation practice areas, having more “Lawyers of the Year” than any other law firm in Hawaii, in 2014 and 2015.
Our firm is Top-Listed by US News & World Report-Best Lawyers in America® “Best Law Firms” in 22 practice areas.
A LITIGATION POWERHOUSE
Starn O’Toole Marcus & Fisher’s litigation powerhouse has extensive experience, including significant jury and non-jury trial work, in complex commercial litigation encompassing business, corporate, contract and accounting issues related to Hawaii real estate development, corporate ownership and management, the hotel and hospitality industry, environmental matters, construction claims, lender liability, class actions and personal injury matters.
Our respected team of litigators have trial expertise before State and Federal courts in Hawaii and the US mainland, including the US Supreme Court, and has served as litigation general counsel before courts in foreign jurisdictions.
When clients are faced with complex commercial issues concerning matters in Hawaii and beyond, the firm’s attorneys are amongst a handful of select “go-to” lawyers.
OUR TRIAL APPROACH & ATTORNEYS
Victory in the legal environment means triumph: economic satisfaction, a win-win agreement, or sometimes, just being proclaimed right.
The importance of the path to victory-strategies, players, and desired outcomes — make the selection of the legal trial team critical for success. The job is to design a road map that considers each twist and turn that may be presented. The experience and intellectual brainpower of the client’s trial attorneys often accounts for the outcome of litigation by crafting each strategic move on the battlefield along the way.
Starn O’Toole Marcus & Fisher’s litigation attorneys take the fight for every client as if it were their own battle. To be responsible and involved is a hallmark of the law firm, which is built on the power of its people.
The firm’s Hawaii litigation attorneys are recognized by Best Lawyers in America®, Chambers and Partners USA Directory of Leading Lawyers for Business, The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers ™, selected to Hawaii Super Lawyers® list, Benchmark Litigation, Benchmark Appellate, Benchmark Plaintiff, and Martindale-Hubbell®.
All Starn O’Toole Marcus & Fisher’s litigation Directors are rated AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell’s® highest possible rating, given to them by their peers for achieving very high ethical standards and professional ability.
HAWAII REAL ESTATE ATTORNEYS, BUSINESS FOCUSED
Starn O’Toole Marcus & Fisher’s real estate and business law attorneys are known for sophisticated case analysis and innovative business solutions for complex matters. Our attorneys have significant experience in real estate development and transactions, hotels, hotel management agreements, corporate finance, international transactions, secured transactions, mergers and acquisitions, construction law and complex commercial matters, in Hawaii, US and internationally.
The firm’s impressive skill and experience in strategic case planning, ingenious solutions and powerful negotiations in all aspects of complex real estate transactions has opened many doors for domestic and international clients, and have helped many navigate Hawaii’s complex land use and permitting laws.
OUR TRANSACTIONAL APPROACH AND ATTORNEYS
Starn O’Toole Marcus & Fisher transactional attorneys have an innate talent for critical thinking through each complex commercial matter. What’s more, they excel in solving the pieces of a puzzle, examining the players, unraveling the details of agreements and handshake deals, to identify the keys that will give the client the clear advantage.
In today’s complex competitive environment, firm transactional attorneys shine when approaching the deal table. Strong, experienced and prepared for endless possible moves and counter-moves, firm attorneys drive for exceptional results for every client whether they are a family owned business or an international corporation.
Our transactional attorneys are recognized by Best Lawyers in America®, Chambers and Partners USA Directory of Leading Lawyers for Business, The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers ™ and selected to the Hawaii Super Lawyers® list.
All transactional Directors are rated AV Preeminent®, the highest rating possible given by Martindale-Hubbell®, a distinction given by our legal peers for achieving the highest standards for professional skill, ethics and integrity.
Management / Department Heads
Top Listed State Awards
- Top Listed in Hawaii in Appellate Practice with 3 lawyers
- Top Listed in Hawaii in Commercial Litigation with 6 lawyers
- Top Listed in Hawaii in Leisure and Hospitality Law with 2 lawyers
- Top Listed in Hawaii in Litigation - Banking and Finance with 3 lawyers
- Top Listed in Hawaii in Mortgage Banking Foreclosure Law with 2 lawyers
Top Listed City Awards
- Top Listed in Honolulu in Appellate Practice with 3 lawyers
- Top Listed in Honolulu in Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships) with 4 lawyers
- Top Listed in Honolulu in Commercial Litigation with 6 lawyers
- Top Listed in Honolulu in Leisure and Hospitality Law with 2 lawyers
- Top Listed in Honolulu in Litigation - Banking and Finance with 3 lawyers
- Top Listed in Honolulu in Mortgage Banking Foreclosure Law with 2 lawyers
- Chambers & Partners USA Directory-Tier 1, Litigation: General Commercial
- Chambers & Partners USA Directory, Tier 2, Real Estate Law
- Chambers & Partners USA Directory, Tier 2, Corporate/Commercial Law
- Benchmark Litigation-Highliy Recommended Firm
- Benchmark Appellate-Highly Recommended Firm
Firm Practice Areas
- Administrative / Regulatory Law
- Appellate Practice
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
- Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law
- Commercial Finance Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Commercial Transactions / UCC Law
- Construction Law
- Corporate Law
- Electronic Discovery and Information Management Law
- Government Relations Practice
- Land Use and Zoning Law
- Legal Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
- Leisure and Hospitality Law
- Litigation - Banking and Finance
- Litigation - Construction
- Litigation - Environmental
- Litigation - Insurance
- Litigation - Mergers and Acquisitions
- Litigation - Real Estate
- Litigation - Securities
- Litigation - Trusts and Estates
- Medical Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Mortgage Banking Foreclosure Law
- Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Real Estate Law