Smith Freed Eberhard is a regional litigation defense firm in Portland, Oregon and Seattle, Washington. The firm is known for creative solutions that achieve favorable results for their clients. Attorneys at the firm are consistently recognized by Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers, and Martindale Hubbell, as being top-ranked trial lawyers. The firm handles a variety of cases throughout Oregon and Washington in the firm's main practice areas: Automotive Defense, Commercial Liability Defense, Construction and Development, Bad Faith, Professional Lines (Errors and Omissions (E&O), Directors and Officers (D&O), Employment Practice Liability (EPL)), Coverage, First & Third Party/SIU, and Medical Malpractice.
The attorneys at Smith Freed Eberhard are dedicated, energetic advocates who always look for the right solution to our clients’ problems, and the most efficient manner of solving them. We attempt to resolve cases at the earliest point possible, by settlement or by using alternative means of resolution; but we realize that not all cases can be resolved outside of the courtroom. Our experienced trial lawyers are prepared to represent our clients in the courts when necessary.
Our trial lawyers gain knowledge not only in the courtroom, but also in the classroom. Smith Freed Eberhard’s attorneys sharpen their trial and litigation skills by participating in the firm’s internal training programs. Most notable is the firm’s “Black Belt” Trial Advocacy Training Program, which is available to our attorneys and our clients. This interactive training program provides our attorneys with the concepts and tools needed to expand and hone their trial skills.
At Smith Freed Eberhard, a senior attorney supervises each case, ensuring each client the most comprehensive representation. Associate attorneys, paralegals, and staff have at their disposal the best tools available. Emerging technologies make research and communication extremely efficient, and we invest wisely in applicable litigation technology to achieve the best results. Our partners and senior attorneys mentor our new associates, creating teams with diverse experiences and fostering successful litigators.Smith Freed Eberhard is an active, vocal member of the insurance community. Our attorneys are prolific writers and speakers on a wide variety of both prescient and traditional topics in the insurance field. In addition to various self-published periodicals, our partners contribute to legal and industry publications. Over the years, these contributions have received substantial positive feedback from clients and others. Smith Freed Eberhard’s continuing legal education program sends attorneys into industry gatherings and clients’ offices to speak on recent rulings, precedents, and current legislative developing impacting their businesses.
Our firm is committed to helping claims professionals and insurance carriers by providing timely and relevant information. On our website (www.smithfreed.com) you can visit our library to view or subscribe to a number of legal resources. We currently offer:
• Case Law Updates: Provides a summary of new cases regarding significant changes in case law in Oregon and Washington. These updates are available on our website, and are indexed by practice area. You may also sign up to receive a weekly email containing new case law updates as they are published.
• Summaries of Law: Oregon and Washington legal summaries providing insight into Oregon and Washington case law and legal statutes. Digital versions of these publications can be found on our website. Hard copy versions are also available upon request.
• Presentations: The attorneys of Smith Freed Eberhard are skilled speakers and presenters. They present throughout the country at a number of national trade groups and at client offices. Users of smithfreed.com are offered the opportunity to view these presentations on-demand for their continuing education.
•White Papers: The attorneys at Smith Freed Eberhard publish articles throughout the country in a number of legal and industry publications. We have gathered these articles and placed them on our site for your benefit.
- 2012 Vendor of the Year
- The Hartford
- AAA Insurance Company
- Nationwide Insurance
Firm Practice Areas
- Construction Law
- Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law
- Insurance Law
- Legal Malpractice Law - Defendants
- Litigation - Construction
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants