Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, P.L.C. is a multi-specialty law firm based in Cedar Rapids, Iowa with clients throughout the world. Using a collaborative, team-based approach, Shuttleworth & Ingersoll is able to provide innovative, cost-effective solutions to client problems. With twenty-five of its lawyers featured in Best Lawyers, and its lawyers listed as Best in Cedar Rapids in their specialty areas, Shuttleworth & Ingersoll's depth of expertise sets it apart, leading it to be recognized by Martindale-Hubbell, Inc. as an "AV" rated Firm and voted "Best Law Firm in the Corridor for Existing Businesses" for three consecutive years.
Shuttleworth & Ingersoll has a rich history of providing quality legal services for 160 years.
The firm was founded in 1854 by Nathaniel M. Hubbard, making this one of the oldest continuously operating law firms located west of the Mississippi river. After serving in the Civil War, Judge Hubbard and his partner Frank Dawley helped pioneer the legal system, political divisions, and commercial infrastructure in Iowa. Charles Wheeler, known for the Jones County Calf Case, joined the firm in 1895. Just after the turn of the last century, Justice John Grimm was associated with the firm both before and after he served on the Iowa Supreme Court.
It was the custom that a law firm changed its name with the changing of partners. Grimm Wheeler & Elliot of 1917 became Elliot, Shuttleworth & Ingersoll in 1945. In Post WWII years the firm was for a time the largest in Iowa. Craven Shuttleworth and others routinely appeared before the United States Supreme Court and various Federal Circuit Courts of Appeal throughout the country. In 1963, before it was common, the firm permanently adopted the name Shuttleworth & Ingersoll. That name is rooted in a deep historical foundation.
Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, P.L.C., one of Iowa's largest and oldest full-service law firms, is located in the U.S. Bank building in downtown Cedar Rapids.
In 2014, Shuttleworth & Ingersoll (S&I) was named Best Law Firm, ranking tier one in seventeen practice areas by U.S. News Media Group and Best Lawyers©. In 2012, S&I was named to Fortune Magazine's Top Ranked Law Firms™. With nearly 50 talented and experienced attorneys, S&I provides a wide range of specialized legal services to clients locally and across the nation.
Our clients include individuals; closely held businesses of all types, sizes and stages of development; public companies; insurance companies; banks; and non-profit organizations, including hospitals and colleges. Our firm is divided into practice groups that specialize in a specific law type or industry. Our growing practice groups offer legal services in a wide variety of areas, such as administrative law, business transactions, mergers and acquisitions, employment law, health law, financial institution law, patent law and intellectual property, environmental, real estate, securities, taxation and litigation.
Shuttleworth attorneys have received numerous accolades. And while your choice for legal services should not be based solely on ratings, S&I’s attorneys consistently receive high ratings from their peers. For example:
- Twenty-six of the firm’s attorneys are listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in their specialty areas.
- Four S&I attorneys were named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in America® for 2012 and 2013.
- Twenty-seven of the firm’s attorneys have the distinguished “AV” Peer Review Rating™ from LexisNexis-Martindale-Hubbell.
- Twenty-nine of our attorneys were selected Great Plains Super Lawyers® & Rising Stars for 2013, a rating service for more than 70 practice areas that recognizes attorneys who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
Shuttleworth & Ingersoll takes pride in our active community involvement. Our lawyers volunteer with local and national non-profit organizations at every level. We highly value philanthropic leadership. These efforts were recognized by the National Society of Fundraising Executives when it awarded S&I the Outstanding Philanthropic Organization honor. S&I attorneys are also encouraged to serve on trade associations, corporate boards, and legal associations to advance our craft and contribute back to our industry and community.
This firm has been built by many generations of lawyers who have understood that excellent legal services require dedication to the community, as well as professionalism, integrity and hard work.
Top Listed State Awards
- Top Listed in Iowa in Banking and Finance Law with 6 lawyers
Top Listed City Awards
- Top Listed in Cedar Rapids in Banking and Finance Law with 6 lawyers
- Top Listed in Cedar Rapids in Corporate Law with 6 lawyers
- Top Listed in Cedar Rapids in Real Estate Law with 6 lawyers
- Corridor’s Best Law Firm for Existing Businesses
- 25 S&I Attorneys Receive “AV” Peer Review Rating™ from LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
- S&I Ranked for Real Estate, Litigation, Labor & Employment and Corporate/M&A by Chambers and Partner
- Four S&I Attorneys Named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in America® for 2014
- U.S. News and Best Lawyers© Ranks S&I Tier 1 in Seventeen Practice Areas in 2014
- Alt, Pace & Jones Commended for Pro Bono Work
- 29 S&I Attorneys Selected as Great Plains Super Lawyers® & Rising Stars 2013
- 26 Attorneys are included in the 2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® in their specialty are
- Four S&I Attorneys Named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in America® for 2013
- S&I Named to Fortune Magazine’s 2012 Top Ranked Law Firms™
- 26 Attorneys are included in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® in their specialty are
Firm Practice Areas
- Appellate Practice
- Banking and Finance Law
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Corporate Governance Law
- Corporate Law
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Employment Law - Management
- Energy Law
- Environmental Law
- Health Care Law
- Insurance Law
- Labor Law - Management
- Labor Law - Union
- Land Use and Zoning Law
- Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law
- Litigation - Bankruptcy
- Litigation - Construction
- Litigation - Environmental
- Litigation - ERISA
- Litigation - Health Care
- Litigation - Intellectual Property
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Municipal Law
- Native American Law
- Patent Law
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants
- Real Estate Law
- Securities / Capital Markets Law
- Tax Law
- Trademark Law
- Trusts and Estates
- Venture Capital Law
- Workers' Compensation Law - Employers