Shuman McCuskey Slicer PLLC is a civil defense litigation law firm defending businesses, professionals, and insurers in high-stakes lawsuits. Our attorneys are skilled in defending clients across a broad range of industries and practice areas, including medical malpractice, construction defects, insurance defense, and governmental and professional liability.
Our firm was founded in Charleston, West Virginia, where it remains headquartered. Through succession and expansion, we have grown to adapt to our clients' needs. We now have additional offices in Morgantown, WV, and Winchester, VA, with a combined total of over 20 attorneys who can serve clients in West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Kentucky, Ohio, Maryland, and New York.
Our lawyers have an exceptional reputation built upon providing tailored representation for each client. Our "client-first" attitude means that every member of the firm is enthusiastic and dedicated to serving their clients in an effective, efficient, and prompt manner. Shuman McCuskey Slicer PLLC functions as a nationally ranked law firm through the collaborative effort of our attorneys and staff. Because of our varied backgrounds and levels of expertise in particular practice areas, our attorneys work together to provide insight into cases from differing perspectives. We like to attribute this positive and innovative work style to our founding members, David L. Shuman and John F. McCuskey, both Of Counsel, and William R. Slicer, the firm's Managing Member. In addition to Mr. Slicer, Dwayne E. Cyrus, Lou Ann S. Cyrus, Karen T. McElhinny, Brian J. Warner, and Natalie C. Schaefer exist as Shuman McCuskey Slicer PLLC's current owners, who continue to uphold the diligent work ethic of our firm which was founded over 20 years ago.
For years, our firm and attorneys have had the honor of being recognized by Martindale-Hubbell®, Best Lawyers®, U.S. News and World Report, and Best's Recommended Insurance Attorneys by AM Best, which are some of the most highly sought after recognitions in the legal industry. We have the experience and know-how to reduce complex legal matters into simple, understandable issues. When you need help navigating your legal needs, Shuman McCuskey Slicer PLLC will be there for you.
Top Listed State Awards
- Top Listed in West Virginia in Insurance Law with 4 lawyers
- Top Listed in West Virginia in Litigation - Health Care with 4 lawyers
- Top Listed in West Virginia in Litigation - Insurance with 7 lawyers
- Top Listed in West Virginia in Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants with 4 lawyers
Top Listed City Awards
- Top Listed in Charleston in Litigation - Health Care with 4 lawyers
- Top Listed in Charleston in Litigation - Insurance with 7 lawyers
- Top Listed in Charleston in Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants with 4 lawyers
Firm Practice Areas
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Health Care Law
- Insurance Law
- Litigation - Construction
- Litigation - Health Care
- Litigation - Insurance
- Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants
- Oil and Gas Law
- Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants
- Utilities Law