Potter Anderson & Corroon LLP is the firm of choice for clients— ranging from Fortune 500 companies to some of the largest national law firms to individuals. It is the oldest Delaware law firm and one of the ten oldest continuously-practicing law firms in the United States. Since its small beginnings in 1826, Potter Anderson & Corroon has become one of the largest and most recognized Delaware law firms, providing a full range of legal services to its local, national and international clients.
Hundreds of thousands of corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships and trusts have their legal home in Delaware, including more than 50 percent of all U.S. publicly-traded companies and 63percent of the Fortune 500 companies. Organizations choose to incorporate in Delaware in large part because of the state’s courts and its business statutes.
The Court of Chancery is one of the most respected and broadly influential tribunals in the world regarding matters of internal corporate governance. The extensive body of Delaware corporate jurisprudence is an enormous practical advantage for entities incorporated here, affording a measure of predictability to Delaware corporations that enables both corporate boards and business managers to accurately assess the legal consequences of their actions. The U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware and the U.S. Bankruptcy Court are often the venue of choice in suits involving intellectual property and bankruptcy.
The Delaware General Corporation Law provides both the flexibility and the predictability necessary to manage a modern-day corporation. The DGCL is reviewed and “fine tuned” on an annual basis and, as a result, the statute is generally acknowledged to be the most advanced and flexible business statute in the country.
About Our Clients
Bank of America
Becton Dickinson and Company
Chase Manhattan Bank (USA), N.A.
City of New Castle, Delaware
City of Wilmington, Delaware
Daimler Trucks North America LLC
Delaware Park Racetrack & Slots
Delaware State University
E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company
Eastman Chemical Company
El Paso Corporation
General Motors Corp.
Kent County, Delaware
Liberty Media Corporation
NRG Energy, Inc.
New Castle County, Delaware
Norfolk Southern Corporation
PNC Financial Services Group, Inc.
Philips Electronics Corporation of North America
Riverfront Development Corporation of Delaware
SBC Communications, Inc.
State of Delaware
Sussex County, Delaware
Tyson Foods, Inc.
University of Delaware
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.
The Walt Disney Company
Firm Practice Areas
- Antitrust Law
- Banking and Finance Law
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
- Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law
- Commercial Finance Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Commercial Transactions / UCC Law
- Copyright Law
- Corporate Compliance Law
- Corporate Governance Law
- Corporate Law
- Elder Law
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Employment Law - Management
- Health Care Law
- Information Technology Law
- Insurance Law
- Labor Law - Management
- Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law
- Litigation - Antitrust
- Litigation - Banking and Finance
- Litigation - Bankruptcy
- Litigation - Construction
- Litigation - Health Care
- Litigation - Intellectual Property
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Litigation - Mergers and Acquisitions
- Litigation - Patent
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Patent Law
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
- Private Funds / Hedge Funds Law
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Public Finance Law
- Securities / Capital Markets Law
- Securitization and Structured Finance Law
- Technology Law
- Trademark Law