Pirkey Barber is one of the largest firms in the United States focusing on the fields of trademark and copyright law. Our offices are located in Austin, Texas and the Washington DC Metro- area (Tysons, VA) and our clients are located throughout the world. With a team of leading experts in the field, we have guided a wide range of extraordinary clients through dynamic shifts in technology and the world economy that have profoundly affected strategies for protecting and enforcing brands and content.
Experience and Expertise
With years of collective experience representing clients from a variety of industries, our attorneys devote their time to trademark and copyright law and are well-versed in both prosecution and adversarial matters. We help clients large and small establish, protect, defend, and enforce their rights as owners of valuable marks including some of the most well-known trademarks in the world.
Experienced in all facets of trademark clearance and prosecution, we counsel clients regarding brand selection and help develop and implement global trademark strategies. Our attorneys regularly perform preliminary trademark searches; analyze full searches performed by outside vendors; represent clients before the USPTO and the TTAB through all aspects of registration, from filing applications through ex parte appeal; and manage global trademark portfolios of all sizes.
We help companies minimize social media risks while maximizing brand protection by advising on responsible and lawful social media use, conducting social media risk assessment, protecting IP assets and developing policies to promote collaboration between marketing and legal departments.
We counsel clients seeking to acquire, protect and enforce copyright assets, and assist in obtaining registrations, assessing fair use claims, negotiating licenses, and asserting “take down” notices or claiming “safe harbor” status under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
We have represented defendants and plaintiffs in hundreds of trademark and domain name cases in federal court, before the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) and under the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)’s domain name dispute policies.
Top Listed State Awards
- Top Listed in Texas in Trademark Law with 15 lawyers
Top Listed City Awards
- Top Listed in Austin in Intellectual Property Law with 4 lawyers
- Top Listed in Austin in Litigation - Intellectual Property with 4 lawyers
- Top Listed in Austin in Litigation - Intellectual Property with 6 lawyers
- Top Listed in Austin in Trademark Law with 15 lawyers
- WTR 1000 Top Tier Ranking
- Managing Intellectual Property - National Trademark Contentious Firm of the Year
- Managing Intellectual Property - U.S. Trademark Contentious Firm of the Year - South
- Managing Intellectual Property - U.S. Trademark Prosecution Firm of the Year - South
- Chambers USA
- U.S. News "Best Law Firms" Tier 1 Ranking - Austin Metropolitan Area
- 2013 GO-TO Law Firm for the Top 500 Companies
- 7 Eleven, Inc.
- Baylor University
- Best Buy
- HEB Grocery
- Kendra Scott
- TGI Friday's Inc
- The University of Texas
- The Wendy's Company
- Whole Foods Market
About Our Clients
Pirkey Barber's trademark and copyright expertise supports some of the most recognizable and valuable marks. Our client roster includes:
7 Eleven, Inc.
For Eyes Optical
SXSW (South By Southwest Festivals)
The University of Texas
The Wendy's Company
Whole Foods Market
Firm Practice Areas
- Copyright Law
- Litigation - Intellectual Property
- Trademark Law