Who We Serve
For over 85 years, Morris James has been serving the needs of its clients such as Fortune 500 companies, financial institutions, government agencies, law firms, and our community. With over 70 lawyers and eight offices throughout Delaware, our attorneys work together across legal disciplines and use the depth of their collective knowledge of Delaware law with our daily experiences in Delaware courts to provide clients with creative solutions and outstanding service. Whether being named a Go-To law firm for the country’s top 500 companies or serving as a personal counsel for many of Delaware’s leading individuals, we know the legal landscape in Delaware.
About Morris James LLP
Since our founding in 1931, Morris James attorneys have occupied leadership roles in the Delaware, American and Federal Bar Associations, have held prominent positions in legal professional organizations, and have served as advisors to the Delaware courts. Our attorneys serve, both as elected leaders and by appointment of the court, in capacities reflective of their thorough knowledge of the law and their high standards of ethics, values and vision.
Morris James LLP is a law firm both literally and figuratively rooted in Delaware. Beginning a decade or two into the 20th century, our history is synonymous with that of the First State. Our attorneys have included Delaware Supreme Court justices, a Delaware State Bar president, a three-term Delaware Attorney General, public servants of every stripe, the first female Deputy Attorney General of Delaware, Congressmen, politicians and even a Major League baseball-player-turned-lawyer. After living and working here, practicing law and helping to shape and adjudicate it across our state for more than 80 years, we can proudly affirm that, at Morris James, we are Delaware.
Morris James LLLP encourages and actively supports the participation of our attorneys and staff in all manner of professional, charitable and community endeavors that strive to improve lives and address the needs of the under served. Such service, we believe, enriches us all. Briefly described below are examples of some of the ways in which Morris James applies its knowledge and energy to work for the greater good of our communities.
We are members of ALFA International and State Law Resources, Inc. These partnerships allow us to enhance the value we offer our clients by maintaining mutually beneficial relationships with other top independent firms.
Alternative Fee Arrangements and Early Case Assessment
At Morris James, we have a long-term familiarity with Alternative Fee Arrangements and Early Case Assessment through our experience with Fortune 500 companies.
DuPont’s trust in us is echoed by clients such as Christiana Care Health System, Wilmington Trust Company, and Wells Fargo Bank. The State of Delaware and many municipalities throughout the state turn to Morris James because of our Delaware roots and unsurpassed skills and judgment.
With a state-of-the-art virtual information infrastructure, podcasting, videoconferencing, a simulated courtroom, blogs, client e-alerts, and a fully integrated web site and intranet, our culture embraces technology.
A significant number of Morris James partners are named in Chambers USA for excellence in their fields in Delaware. Our Bankruptcy, Chancery, Intellectual Property, Real Estate, Land Use, and Labor & Employment groups are recognized as leading practices in Delaware. Other rankings include Delaware Super Lawyers®, IAM Patent 1000®, Benchmark Litigation®, and Delaware Today Top Lawyers®.
Our culture fosters an open and welcoming environment that not only encourages, but also expects, contributions from people with diverse views, experiences and backgrounds.
Management / Department Heads
Top Listed State Awards
- Top Listed in Delaware in Arbitration with 2 lawyers
- Top Listed in Delaware in Education Law with 2 lawyers
- Top Listed in Delaware in Elder Law with 2 lawyers
- Top Listed in Delaware in Mediation with 2 lawyers
Top Listed City Awards
- Top Listed in Wilmington in Arbitration with 2 lawyers
- Top Listed in Wilmington in Education Law with 2 lawyers
- Top Listed in Wilmington in Elder Law with 2 lawyers
- Top Listed in Wilmington in Mediation with 2 lawyers
- Apple, Inc.
- BNY Mellon Wealth Management
- Christiana Care Health Services
- Christiana Trust
- City of Wilmington
- Consolidated Rail Corporation
- Deutsche Bank Trust Company of Delaware
- E.I. duPont de Nemours and Company
- Global Payments, Inc.
- M&T Bank
- The Onix Group
- Wells Fargo
- Wilmington Trust
Firm Practice Areas
- Aviation Law
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
- Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law
- Commercial Finance Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Commercial Transactions / UCC Law
- Corporate Governance Law
- Corporate Law
- Education Law
- Elder Law
- Electronic Discovery and Information Management Law
- Employment Law - Management
- Energy Law
- Equipment Finance Law
- Family Law
- Family Law Arbitration
- Family Law Mediation
- Government Relations Practice
- Health Care Law
- Information Technology Law
- Insurance Law
- Labor Law - Management
- Land Use and Zoning Law
- Legal Malpractice Law - Defendants
- Litigation - Intellectual Property
- Litigation - Patent
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
- Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants
- Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Privacy and Data Security Law
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Project Finance Law
- Real Estate Law
- Tax Law
- Technology Law
- Trade Secrets Law
- Trusts and Estates
850 New Burton Road, Suite 101
Dover, DE 19904
107 West Market Street
P.O. Box 690
Georgetown, DE 19947
9 North Front Street
Georgetown, DE 19947
16 Polly Drummond Hill Road
Newark, DE 19711-5703
402 Rehoboth Avenue
Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971-3113
19470 Coastal Highway
Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971
500 Delaware Avenue, Suite 1500
Wilmington, DE 19801
803 North Broom Street
Wilmington, DE 19806-4624