The firm now known as Montgomery & Andrews was born in December 1936 when J. O. Seth, a well established and highly respected Santa Fe lawyer, took a sheet of foolscap and penned a two-sentence partnership agreement with his young associate and recently elected State Senator, A. K. Montgomery. The cornerstone of that partnership was their commitment to develop and maintain long-term relationships with their clients by rendering skilled, effective and efficient representation and counsel.
We also recognize Bill Federici and Frank Andrews as founding partners. Bill Federici joined the firm in the late 1940s, served on the New Mexico Supreme Court in the 1970s and 1980s, and returned to the firm as of counsel until his death in 2009. Frank Andrews, was a respected trial lawyer and former FBI agent, who joined the firm in the mid-1950s. At one time known as Seth, Montgomery, Federici & Andrews, the partners, including J. O. Seth, decided in 1962 that the name “Seth” should be dropped after President Kennedy appointed J. O.’s son, Oliver, then a member of the firm, to the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit. For the same reason Bill Federici’s name was removed when he was appointed to the New Mexico Supreme Court in 1977. Shortly thereafter the partners decided the name of the firm should permanently remain “Montgomery & Andrews.”
By the 1970s the firm had grown to become the largest in Santa Fe and has consistently remained among the largest in the State. In 1976, the demands of a growing practice caused the firm to construct the building in which it is now headquartered in Santa Fe. In January 2008, Montgomery and Andrews branched into Albuquerque by associating with the lawyers formerly comprising the firm of Sturges, Houston & Sexton. The firm now maintains offices in both cities.
During its more than seven decades, the firm has produced a chief judge of the United States Court of Appeals, a United States District judge, two State Supreme Court justices, a State District Court judge, a president of a Fortune 500 company, several presidents of the State Bar Association, a nationally recognized advocate for equal access to justice and director of the federal Legal Services Corporation, and numerous directors and officers of local and statewide civic, charitable, cultural and economic development organizations. Among its current members is a former United States Attorney for the New Mexico district and chairman of the Attorney General’s Advisory Committee of United States Attorneys.
The core values of the partnership formed by J. O. Seth and A. K. Montgomery live on in the firm today. We strive continuously to offer our clients, many of whom we have represented for decades, legal services of the highest quality on time and at reasonable rates, and to advocate their interests zealously when needed. We pride ourselves on a collegial, diverse, and respectful working environment of motivated, energetic and service oriented professionals, on our reputation for competence, integrity, and professionalism with the courts and agencies in which we practice, and on constructive and respectful relationships with our colleagues outside the firm, be they ally or adversary.
Montgomery & Andrews, P.A. was founded on the core principles of excellence, integrity and professionalism which continue to guide our practice today. Committed to providing the highest quality of legal services, we are a vital and growing law firm, delivering practical, innovative legal solutions to local, regional and national clients of all sizes. Businesses and individuals who bring their legal matters to M&A find:
- Effective solutions. Our attorneys are trained to listen carefully to client concerns, analyze the available legal strategies and vigorously implement the client’s decisions. M&A employs specific knowledge and in-depth experience across a broad spectrum of practice areas.
- Dynamic attorneys. Given the broad scope of our practice, M&A attorneys utilize a variety of approaches to solving our clients’ problems. We’ve built a talented, diverse staff, capable of doing whatever a situation requires, from delicate negotiations on the finer points of regulatory compliance to aggressive litigation of commercial interests. We pride ourselves on our collegial, respectful working environment and our close collaboration with the clients we serve.
- An established practice. Founded in 1936, we are one of the larger firms in New Mexico. M&A is known for the breadth and depth of our trial and regulatory experience and our familiarity with the procedures and personnel of New Mexico courts and government. We seek to build lasting relationships with our clients based on reliable delivery of high quality legal services– on time and at reasonable rates. M&A also boasts a long history of public service to Santa Fe and New Mexico.
COMPREHENSIVE COMMERCIAL LITIGATION AND LEGAL SERVICES THROUGHOUT NEW MEXICO
Montgomery & Andrews represents major corporations, government entities, institutions, small companies and private individuals doing business throughout New Mexico. Our commercial law practice assists companies of all sizes in all stages of development. Our environmental law and natural resources attorneys help companies manage regulatory compliance and balance the competing values of commerce and preservation. As the preeminent healthcare law practice in the state, M&A supports institutional providers and sole practitioners. We also represent design professionals, medical professionals and legal professionals in professional liability lawsuits. These are only a few of our areas of concentration; please visit the pertinent pages on this website to see other areas of expertise.
Top Listed State Awards
- Top Listed in New Mexico in Administrative / Regulatory Law with 4 lawyers
- Top Listed in New Mexico in Government Relations Practice with 2 lawyers
Top Listed City Awards
- Top Listed in Santa Fe with 8 lawyers
- Top Listed in Santa Fe in Administrative / Regulatory Law with 4 lawyers
- Top Listed in Santa Fe in Environmental Law with 2 lawyers
- Top Listed in Santa Fe in Government Relations Practice with 2 lawyers
Firm Practice Areas
- Administrative / Regulatory Law
- Appellate Practice
- Banking and Finance Law
- Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
- Commercial Finance Law
- Construction Law
- Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law
- Employment Law - Management
- Environmental Law
- Government Relations Practice
- Insurance Law
- Labor Law - Management
- Litigation - Banking and Finance
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants
- Mining Law
- Municipal Law
- Native American Law
- Natural Resources Law
- Water Law