Mogan Daniels Slager LLP
3 The Best Lawyers in Canada™ awards
As Western Canada’s leading boutique law firm with a focus on Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity, we are committed to delivering high value and exceptional, attentive service to every client. Our practice focus allow us to deliver up-to-the-moment market knowledge and expertise. Unique problem-solving skills from extensive transaction experience allow us to close deals on time and on budget. By working in small teams, our talented lawyers and paralegals are able to provide a highly satisfying client experience. We have honed our project management process to confidently offer fixed fee arrangements on most projects.
A Brief History
Our roots go back to the business law firm started by our founder, Peter Mogan, in 1990. Propelled by a growing transaction division and a clear vision to develop British Columbia’s first boutique law firm with a focus on Mergers & Acquisitions, Peter brought Nathan Daniels and Ben Slager on board in 2011 and together they formed MDS in 2012.Over the next few years, highly sought-after lawyers and paralegals would become part of the MDS team, cementing a commitment to excellence while enjoying the camaraderie, agility and focus of a boutique firm. Today, MDS is an industry leader in mid-market transaction services and is continually evolving its unique processes and client experiences to deliver exceptional outcomes.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Our firm represents entrepreneurs, corporations, financial sponsors and family offices in share transactions, asset transactions, hybrid transactions and sale of equity to financial and strategic buyers. As the leading mid-market M&A legal services provider in BC, we have acted in large (over $700 million enterprise value) and small (under $5 million enterprise value) deals. Over the years, we have represented many winners of the prestigious Dealmaker of the Year awards sponsored by the BC Association for Corporate Growth. Regularly referred by leading M&A advisors, we are known for getting our transactions closed, often in complex circumstances. We are dedicated to M&A with a large team of very experienced M&A professionals. Because of this focus, we are up-to-date on what is “market” for both Canadian and cross-border transactions. With our efficient and well-managed transaction processes, we are able to offer clients high value, fixed fee arrangements.
A significant part of our practice consists of guiding and assisting private equity funds, family offices and other stakeholders on a variety of transactions and other matters throughout the private equity life cycle, such as:
- Structuring, formation, governance and administration of PE funds, including funds of funds
- Financing and co-investment, including private placements and senior and subordinated debt financing
- M&A, including platform and bolt-on acquisitions
- Restructurings and reorganizations
- General corporate and commercial support for portfolio companies
- Recapilizations and exit transactions
We have vast experience acting from the perspective of all private equity participants – funds and fund managers, investors, founders and management teams – within Canada and in connection with inbound and outbound cross-border transactions. As a result, we consider all angles and are uniquely positioned to advise our clients, offering principled and pragmatic solutions and a deep understanding of the ever-changing marketplace.
Strategic Commercial Law Advice
Our strengths in M&A and private equity allow us to provide high value services to entrepreneurial businesses that are growing through acquisitions or that are taking on an equity partner. We also serve entrepreneurs with products or services that are making a positive, transformational impact on our planet and its people. Our business and commercial services include:
- Providing blended business/legal advice re opportunities and challenges
- Documenting and assisting in corporate and tax-driven reorganizations
- Advising on and preparing documentation for a broad range of business arrangements, including shareholders agreements, partnership agreements, joint venture agreements, partner buyouts, confidentiality agreements, restrictive covenants, agency agreements and distribution arrangements
- Developing and implementing employee ownership and incentive programs, including option programs
- Alder Bay Equity Partners
- CIMS Limited Partnership
- Foley's Chocolates & Candies
- Headwater Equity Partners
- Kicking Horse Coffee
- MacKay CEO Forums
- Mosaic Capital
- Nettwerk Music Group
- Nicola Wealth
- Noverra Group of Companies
- Promerita Group
- Regimen Equity Partners
- Yellow Point Equity Partners
- Corporate Law
- Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Venture Capital Law
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.