Milaré Advogados is a boutique Law Firm dedicated solely to environmental advocacy, due to the high expertise of its professionals. Notwithstanding, the firm has four specialized departments, that deals with environmental law related to specific activities and sectors: (i) Agribusiness, Forestry and Paper, Ports, railways, highways and Airports Infrastructure, Real Estate and Natural and Genetic Resources Department; (ii) Energy and Mining Department; (iii) Solid Waste Department; and (iv) Criminal Environmental Law Department. They all act under the supervision of senior partner Professor Édis Milaré and partner Lucas Tamer Milaré.
- The Agribusiness, Forestry and Paper, Ports, Airports, Railways and Highways Infrastructure, Real Estate, Due Diligence and Natural and Genetic Resources Department is coordinated by the Leading Lawyer Roberta Jardim de Morais, and the team also counts on Mayara Alves Bezerra.
- The Energy and Mining and Energy Infrastructure Department is coordinated by the Leading Lawyer Priscila Santos Artigas, and it also counts on the lawyers Maria Clara Rodrigues Alves Gomes.
- The Contaminated Sites, Cemetery, Oil and Gas, Chemical Industry, Solid Wastes and Sanitation is coordinated by the Leading Lawyer Rita Maria Borges Franco, and it also counts with Fernando Seidi Hissara Fascina.
- The Retail Business, Machinery and Equipment, Mining and Steel Industry, Dangerous Products and Municipal Issues Department is coordinated by the Leading Lawyer Juliana Flávia Mattei, and it also counts with Ranielle Ferreira da Costa.
In early 2020, Milaré created the International and Comparative Law Department to address matter involving the negotiation and application of international acts. Leading Lawyer Flavia Rocha Loures coordinates the department.
Milaré Advogados' legal team is highly specialized in providing preventive and litigation legal advice, related to judicial and administrative procedures in the environmental sphere. Furthermore, the Firm makes normative instruments for the State authorities and offer legal opinions that lead to important decisions in the sector.
The team directs business negotiations by participating in auctions (e.g. solar power); indicating the agencies and bodies at the environmental licensing (e.g. engagement of ICMBio in license process); decision of what practices should be adopted by the company in the environmental licensing (e.g. UHE Belo Monte); and the application of certain environment rules to the project, according to its characteristics.
Milaré Advogados' legal team also has extensive experience in obtaining environmental licenses for infrastructure and forestry projects, authorisation to access genetic resources and administrative and court processes related to environmental law.
The team counts on the support of a qualified technical group comprised by engineers, chemists and biologists and handles the most significant cases related to environmental law involving ports, airports, forestry and paper, contaminated sites, oil and gas, construction, energy and mining in Brazil.
Law Firm of the Year Awards
- Environmental Law in Brazil (2021)
- Environmental Law in Brazil (2020)
- Environmental Law in Brazil (2017)
- Latin Lawyer 250 (2020): Few firms can justifiably claim to have shaped the area of law in which they practise in as much as Milaré Advogados. Widely regarded as Brazil’s leading environmental boutique, the firm wins praise from rival firms
- The Legal 500 Latin America (2019): A firm specialised in environmental work, Milaré Advogados is described as 'outstanding'. Clients include International Paper and Grupo Isolux. Main pillars of the practice are permitting matters; contaminated sites and
- Who's Who Legal- WWL (Environment 2018): The law firm is solely dedicated to environmental advocacy, having been established in the market for its high expertise in providing preventive and litigation legal advice. Milaré Advogados counts on a team formed
- In Brazil, Revista Análise (2020), which lists of the most admired offices and lawyers in the country, granted Milaré Advogados its highest award for the 15th consecutive time. It also awarded Édis Milaré as a renowned name in several
"Law Firm of the Year"
Brazil's "Law Firm of the Year" awards:
- Environmental Law - 2021
- Environmental Law - 2020
- Environmental Law - 2017
Firm Practice Areas
- Environmental Law