McNicholas & McNicholas, a Los Angeles-based plaintiff’s trial law firm, represents clients in the areas of catastrophic personal injury, employment law, class actions, sexual abuse and other consumer-oriented matters such as civil rights, aviation disasters and product liability. Founded by a family of attorneys spanning three generations, John McNicholas and his two sons Patrick and Matthew, have tried hundreds of cases to jury verdict on behalf of their clients.
For more than two decades, McNicholas & McNicholas has built a reputation as one of California’s leading law firms. In addition, the firm regularly represents law enforcement, including police officers and firefighters, who have suffered racial and sexual harassment, discrimination and retaliation. As Panel Counsel to the Los Angeles Police Protective League and United Firefighters of Los Angeles City, Matthew McNicholas works in conjunction with unions serving as a passionate advocate for law enforcement officials who dedicate their lives to protecting our country. He has obtained dozens of notable results on behalf of his clients, including the largest employment verdict ever against the LAPD.
The attorneys’ combination of experience, teamwork, persistence and the use of the most up-to-date resources to pursue complex and highly sensitive cases contribute to the law firm’s winning culture. Handling each case with unmatched professionalism, they have achieved precedent-setting and record-breaking verdicts and settlements for their clients.
The attorneys of McNicholas & McNicholas have been consistently recognized by numerous publications and organizations, including Best Law Firms, Best Lawyers in America© and Southern California Super Lawyers.
In addition, Partners John, Patrick and Matthew are Fellows of the American College of Trial Lawyers, an invitation-only organization whose fellowship is limited to one percent of lawyers in each state. Fellows are distinguished as lawyers who have been in trial practice for at least 15 years, and are recognized by judges and practitioners as the very best in their states. They are the only family with three concurrent members, with Matthew being the youngest member in the College nationally.
John is also a Fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, an invitation-only organization limited to 500 active trial lawyers.
John, Patrick and Matthew are also members of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), an association comprised of more than 6,000 trial lawyers who are all of high personal character, honorable reputation and have met a minimum number of jury trials to verdict. In 2007, they became the first family to have three simultaneous members in ABOTA.
- Top 100 Lawyers in California - Superlawyers
- Top 100 Lawyers in California by Los Angeles & San Francisco Daily Journal
- US News Best Lawyers - "Best Law Firms"
- Best Lawyers in America
- American Board of Trial Advocates – Los Angeles Chapter’s First Civility Award
- American Board of Trial Advocates Civility Award
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Loyola Law School’s Board of Governor’s Award
- Daily Journal Top 100 Most Influential Attorneys in California
- Daily Journal Top 100 Lawyers
- Southern California Super Lawyers
- Southern California Super Lawyers Top 100 Lawyers
- Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition Top Attorneys in Business Litigation
- Daily Journal 20 Under 40
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars
Firm Practice Areas
- Civil Rights Law
- Employment Law - Individuals
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs