Described by The American Lawyer as “one of the nation’s premier plaintiffs’ firms,” Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP, is a ninety-plus attorney law firm with offices in San Francisco, New York, and Nashville.
We are among the largest law firms in the U.S. that only represent plaintiffs in individual, group, and class action lawsuits. We have served as court-appointed Plaintiffs’ Lead or Class Counsel in state and federal coordinated, multi-district, and complex litigation throughout the United States. With co-counsel, we have represented clients across the globe in cases filed in American courts.
We are a champion for justice for our clients and offer them the following advantages:
Comprehensive and Diverse Practice: We are committed to achieving justice for investors, consumers, employees, patients, and business owners; promoting safer products and fair competition; protecting our environment; assisting individuals blow the whistle on fraud; safeguarding the rights of patent and copyright holders; and remedying violations of the civil rights of citizens worldwide. Accordingly, we have active, nationally-recognized practice groups in the fields of antitrust, consumer protection, defective products, employment, environmental law, False Claims Act and whistleblower law, personal injury and mass torts, and securities and financial fraud. Our comprehensive and diverse practice is unique among plaintiffs’ firms. Moreover, we continually evaluate new cases and pursue opportunities to represent clients in additional fields of law including intellectual property and commercial litigation.
Outstanding Track Record: We have litigated and resolved thousands of individual lawsuits and hundreds of class and group actions since the firm’s founding in 1972. We possess the sophisticated legal skills, financial resources, investigative talent, and administrative support to take on the world's most powerful corporations. We have assisted our clients in recovering over $91 billion in verdicts and settlements, including 22 cases valued at $1 billion or more.
Successful Prosecution of Landmark Cases: We take great pride in our innovative approach to the practice of law and our firm's leadership role in cases resulting in landmark decisions and precedent-setting rulings, including:
• the Attorney General multi-state litigation against the tobacco industry;
• litigation against European banks and businesses to recover assets of Holocaust victims and survivors;
• class action litigation against Walmart that reformed its pay procedures and employment practices;
• the third-largest settlement ever in a stock-options backdating lawsuit;
• antitrust litigation against natural gas and electricity companies for manipulating prices that resulted in settlements valued at $1.3 billion;
• the Exxon Valdez and BP Gulf of Mexico oil disasters;
• litigation against the nation’s largest banks for manipulating overdraft fees that has led to settlements in excess of $1 billion for consumers; and
• the multi-billion settlements in the Vioxx and Fen-Phen mass tort actions.
National Reputation for Excellence: Our attorneys are recognized as some of the most qualified and skilled professionals in their fields. They are routinely appointed by federal and state courts to serve as leaders in national litigation. The majority of our attorneys are or have served as directors and officers of local, state, and national bar organizations, including the Public Justice Foundation, Consumer Attorneys of California, New York Trial Lawyers Association, Tennessee Trial Lawyers Association, and the Bar Association of San Francisco.
Commitment to the Community: We proudly support civil rights, human rights, increased access to legal services, and initiatives and organizations working to improve civil justice, increase diversity in the legal profession, and assist the underserved in the communities we serve. We provided free legal services to seven victims of the 9/11 attacks in hearings before the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund and obtained awards totaling over $5 million. In the successful action by Holocaust survivors to recover funds improperly held by Swiss Banks, we donated our fees to Columbia Law School to create a clinical professorship in human rights law devoted to the study and safeguarding of human rights worldwide.
Top Listed National Awards
- Top Listed in the United States in Consumer Protection Law with 2 lawyers
Top Listed State Awards
- Top Listed in California in Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Plaintiffs with 8 lawyers
- Top Listed in California in Qui Tam Law with 2 lawyers
Top Listed City Awards
- Top Listed in San Francisco in Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Plaintiffs with 8 lawyers
- Top Listed in San Francisco in Qui Tam Law with 2 lawyers
- National Law Journal's Plaintiffs' Hot List Hall of Fame (for nation's top plaintiffs' law firms)
- Best Lawyers/US News Law Firm of the Year - 2011-15 (in two separate categories)
- Daily Journal Leading Practice Groups in Cal. (for Antitrust practice group)
- Recorder Top Employment Law Groups in SF Bay Area
Securities & Investor Fraud
Antitrust, Intellectual Property, and Commerical Litigation
False Claims Act
Personal Injury & Mass Torts
Firm Practice Areas
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Employment Law - Individuals
- Litigation - Antitrust
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Litigation - Securities
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Plaintiffs
- Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs
Firm News & Media
275 Battery Street, 29th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94111-3339
250 Hudson Street, Eighth Floor
New York, NY 10013
222 Second Avenue South, Suite 1640
Nashville, TN 37201
2101 Fourth Avenue, Suite 1900
Seattle, WA 98121-2315