Larson O’Brien LLP is a national trial boutique based in Los Angeles with offices in Orange County and Washington, D.C. With a team of some of the most experienced and respected trial lawyers in the country, we focus on high-stakes cases. Our elite trial advocacy and experience inform all aspects of our litigation strategy and create winning opportunities for achieving the optimal result for each client before and at trial, and on appeal.
The firm handles all facets of complex commercial and business litigation matters, including contractual disputes and business torts; class actions; intellectual property; real estate, environmental and natural resources; media and entertainment; employment litigation and counseling; and ground-breaking civil rights litigation. Our white collar defense practice is among the most decorated in the country, having taken on some of the biggest cases in the history of California and highly publicized cases nationwide. We have a robust appellate practice comprising attorneys with decades of experience in federal and state appellate courts nationwide, including appearances before the U.S. Supreme Court.
Founded in 2016, our firm’s talented attorneys range from junior associates coming off of federal clerkships to highly experienced former federal prosecutors and public defenders, state prosecutors, and a federal judge.
A Record of Success
A representative sample of our successes at trial and on appeal is as follows:
- Won complete acquittal of Colonies Partners managing partner Jeff Burum following a marathon jury trial in People v. Biane et al., defeating the government's allegations that the defendants bribed county officials to obtain a $102 million settlement in an eminent domain case, which at the time, then-Attorney General Jerry Brown dubbed to be one of the most significant public corruption matters in California's history. Currently representing Colonies Partners and Mr. Burum in a civil rights suit seeking over $100 million in damages for the retaliatory investigation and failed prosecution.
- Counseled the Orange County Water District in its efforts to remediate volatile organic compounds in the Orange County North Basin, pursuant to CERCLA and related federal and state regulations, resulting in successfully achieving the site’s status on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Superfund National Priorities List.
- Won summary judgment, later affirmed on appeal, in favor of a private water company and its officers, defeating allegations that defendants misappropriated water rights and breached fiduciary duties.
- Served as plaintiffs’ co-counsel and trial counsel in federal securities litigation arising from the initial public offering of Snap Inc., resulting in a mediated settlement for a multimillion-dollar cash payment.
- Prevailed before the U.S. Court of Appeals, affirming the dismissals we obtained on behalf of an A-list actor and producer in two intellectual property disputes.
- Obtained multimillion-dollar settlements for the Quapaw Nation and tribe members in a lawsuit spanning 17 years regarding claims that the mismanaged tribal assets.
- Obtained a favorable sole-tax-count, no-custody, no-restitution disposition, and the dismissal of all remaining charges for an aerospace economic development expert charged with embezzling millions of dollars in NASA funds in the highly publicized People v. Shaw.
- Successfully represented the states of Arizona and Oklahoma in connection with their efforts to seek recovery following the Volkswagen AG emissions “Diesel Dupe” scandal, obtaining settlements totaling more than $40 million.
- Won summary judgment in favor of a mass media company in a hotly contested employment dispute.
- Obtained a $10 million jury verdict and judgment against the Rose Bowl Aquatic Center and in favor of a minor child abused at the defendant's facilities.
- After five days of trial in federal court, secured dismissal of all nine counts alleged against a retired senior Drug Enforcement Administration agent accused of conspiring to commit fraud and make false statements to federal officers in USA v. David Garcia Herrera.
- Succeeded in having no charges filed against a doctor following a months-long investigation of alleged $30 million in False Claims Act violations.
- Won three appeals overturning orders granting terminating sanctions in Breliant v. Boyd et al.—a high-profile wrongful death action against a celebrity drug interventionist—and defeated defendants’ motion for summary judgment after remand.
- Represented Arizona voters challenging the constitutionality of unequally populated voting districts created by a state commission, before the U.S. Supreme Court in Harris v. Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission.
Awards & Recognition
- Ranked a “Tier 1” firm in Los Angeles for Commercial Litigation and Criminal Defense: White-Collar, and ranked nationally for Criminal Defense: White-Collar, by U.S. News - Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms.”
- Four partners recognized by The Best Lawyers in America©.
- Recognized as a "Recommended" firm in California by Benchmark Litigation, with three partners—including Stephen G. Larson and Paul A. Rigali—recognized as "Litigation Stars."
- Two partners, including Stephen G. Larson, honored with the California Lawyer Attorneys of the Year (CLAY) Award by the Daily Journal for their successful defense in the 10-month jury trial in People v. Biane et al.
- Four partners—including Koren L. Bell, Steven E. Bledsoe, and Stephen G. Larson—recognized by the Los Angeles Business Journal as among the most influential people and top litigators in Los Angeles.
Community Outreach & Pro Bono
Diversity and inclusion is an integral component of Larson O’Brien’s firm culture, and is a core value that guides our efforts to work within and help improve our legal community. Our attorneys carry these principles throughout their practice and in their involvement with diversity-driven professional organizations—including the Institute for Inclusion in the Legal Profession (IILP) Social Impact Incubator, Just the Beginning—A PipelineOrganization, the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA), the Federal Judicial Externship and Scholarship Committee for the Mexican American Bar Association, and the International Association of Korean Lawyers (IAKL), to name a few.
Our attorneys have dedicated significant portions of their practices to pro bono projects both at Larson O’Brien and in prior positions. The firm was among the first to join L.A. Represents, a city-wide pro bono initiative providing free legal services to Los Angeles residents facing hardships caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Most recently, we joined the Law Firm Antiracism Alliance (LFAA), the national coalition of law firms aiming to create large-scale, coordinated pro bono projects that address systemic racism. We continue to target and expand our pro bono efforts to those who need it most.
Firm Practice Areas
- Appellate Practice
- Civil Rights Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Litigation - Banking and Finance
- Litigation - Intellectual Property
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Litigation - Real Estate
- Litigation - Regulatory Enforcement (SEC, Telecom, Energy)
- Litigation - Securities
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
555 South Flower Street, Suite 4400
Los Angeles, CA 90071
600 Anton Boulevard, Suite 1270
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
District of Columbia
District of Columbia
440 First Street NW, Suite 450
Washington, DC 20001