K&L Gates is one of the largest law firms in the world with offices located across five continents, all sharing one clear vision. As a fully integrated network of lawyers and legal professionals, we believe that clients need more than technical legal skills; they need insightful and practical advice on the diverse issues that affect their businesses, delivered with unparalleled client service. The combination of practice strength, global platform, and unwavering commitment to client service is our firm's true differentiator in the legal services marketplace. We take a client-first approach to delivering legal solutions, thinking beyond the firm’s internal structure and constantly examining the broader industry, regulatory, and economic issues. Our lawyers identify potential issues in advance based on deep industry knowledge and alert clients to what they may face in the future. K&L Gates represents a broad array of clients in every major industry, including technology, manufacturing, energy, transportation, telecommunications, financial services, and life sciences. Beyond our unsurpassed service and universal experience, K&L Gates offers an extensive network that includes one of the largest contingents of lawyers and offices across the United States of any law firm, approximately 300 lawyers in Europe’s largest economies, and more than 350 legal professionals across the Asia Pacific, where we are one of the region’s largest fully integrated U.S. law firms.
Law Firm of the Year Awards
- Occupational Health & Safety Law in Australia (2018)
- Occupational Health & Safety Law in Australia (2017)
Top Listed State Awards
- Top Listed in Pennsylvania in Bet-the-Company Litigation with 5 lawyers
- Top Listed in North Carolina in Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law with 5 lawyers
- Top Listed in District of Columbia in Mutual Funds Law with 9 lawyers
Top Listed City Awards
- Top Listed in Morrisville with 4 lawyers
- Top Listed in Seattle in Energy Law with 5 lawyers
- Top Listed in Harrisburg in Environmental Law with 4 lawyers
- Top Listed in Pittsburgh in Insurance Law with 9 lawyers
- Top Listed in Warsaw in Litigation with 3 lawyers
- Top Listed in Washington in Mutual Funds Law with 9 lawyers
- Market research agency Acritas recognized K&L Gates for a third consecutive year as one of the 20 strongest U.S. law firm brands in its 2018 U.S. Law Firm Brand Index.
- K&L Gates was again named among the top 20 best-known global law firm brands in the Acritas 2018 Global Elite Brand Index, a ranking determined through unprompted interviews with more than 1,000 in-house general counsel globally.
- K&L Gates has frequently been identified by BTI Consulting as one of the top 30 law firms recommended by legal decision makers to their peers and for client service.
- For a seventh consecutive year in 2017, K&L Gates was cited as one of the 20 leading global law firms based on international presence and the capabilities to handle complex cross-border matters.
- K&L Gates has been recognized as among the most accomplished law firms in intellectual property with the firm's inclusion on The National Law Journal's Intellectual Property Hot List.
- Global Investigations Review has honored K&L Gates with inclusion in its annual GIR 30 survey, an independent guide to the world's best and most-trusted firms for cross-border investigations.
- K&L Gates was named among Yale Law Women's Top 10 Family Friendly Firms of 2016.
- K&L Gates continues to be recognized as a leading firm for diversity and inclusion, having recently been honored as a top achiever in advancing diversity by longtime clients Microsoft and Chevron, among others.
- K&L Gates was awarded the Global Dispute of the Year: U.S. Litigation (IP) in The American Lawyer's fourth annual Global Legal Awards in recognition of the firm's work representing Carnegie Mellon University in the CMU v. Marvell case.
- In the 2018 U.S. News-Best Lawyers Best Law Firms survey, K&L Gates was again among the top five firms for national first-tier rankings out of the 14,000 firms ranked.
- K&L Gates was named a Best Place to Work for LGBT Equality by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), earning a top rating of 100 percent in HRC's Corporate Equality Index survey.
- BTI Consulting Group identified K&L Gates as a Leading Collaboration firm in its Law Firms with the Best Collaboration 2017.
- Ranked among the top 25 firms for legal innovation in BTI Consulting Group 2019 inaugural list of Innovation Champions.
About Our Clients
K&L Gates represents leading global corporations, growth and middle-market companies, capital markets participants, and entrepreneurs in every major industry group as well as public sector entities, educational institutions, philanthropic organizations, and individuals. In addition, the firm is a leader in legal issues relating to industries critical to the economies of both the developed and developing worlds - technology, manufacturing, energy, transportation, telecommunications, financial services and life sciences, among others. For a list of representative clients, please visit the firm’s website at www.klgates.com.
"Law Firm of the Year"
Australia's "Law Firm of the Year" awards:
Occupational Health & Safety Law - 2018
"K&L Gates has earned our top honor in Occupational Health & Safety Law in Australia for a second year running," says Best Lawyers President Phil Greer. "The firm’s success in this field is attributed to a deep bench, led by the extraordinarily skilled litigator Alice DeBoos." The firm’s achievement is also due to brilliant work by attorneys in related practice areas, like Gerard Phillips, Sydney’s 2018 “Lawyer of the Year” in Labour & Employment Law The firm’s global, cross-practice occupational health and safety offerings have grown significantly this past year Nine lawyers at K&L Gates have been recognized for their top legal talent in Occupational Health & Safety Law in the 2018 Edition of The Best Lawyers in Australia."
"More than 3,200 workers have lost their lives in work-related incidents since 2003, and it is absolutely critical that businesses have the right WHS policies and procedures in place to protect their workers. We view it as critical that we work collaboratively with our clients to help them achieve their business objectives, which includes good safety outcomes." - John Makris, Partner, K&L Gates
- Occupational Health & Safety Law - 2017
- Occupational Health & Safety Law - 2018
Firm Practice Areas
- Administrative / Regulatory Law
- Admiralty and Maritime Law
- Advertising Law
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Antitrust Law
- Appellate Practice
- Aviation Law
- Banking and Finance Law
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Civil Rights Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Communications Law
- Construction Law
- Copyright Law
- Corporate Compliance Law
- Corporate Governance Law
- Corporate Law
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Derivatives and Futures Law
- Education Law
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Employment Law - Individuals
- Employment Law - Management
- Energy Law
- Energy Regulatory Law
- Environmental Law
- Family Law
- FDA Law
- Financial Services Regulation Law
- Franchise Law
- Government Relations Practice
- Health Care Law
- Immigration Law
- Information Technology Law
- Insurance Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- International Trade and Finance Law
- IT Outsourcing Law
- Labor Law - Management
- Labor Law - Union
- Land Use and Zoning Law
- Legal Malpractice Law - Defendants
- Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law
- Litigation - Antitrust
- Litigation - Banking and Finance
- Litigation - Bankruptcy
- Litigation - Construction
- Litigation - Environmental
- Litigation - Intellectual Property
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Litigation - Land Use and Zoning
- Litigation - Mergers and Acquisitions
- Litigation - Patent
- Litigation - Regulatory Enforcement (SEC, Telecom, Energy)
- Litigation - Securities
- Litigation - Trusts and Estates
- Litigation and Controversy - Tax
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
- Media Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Municipal Law
- Mutual Funds Law
- Native American Law
- Patent Law
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
- Private Funds / Hedge Funds Law
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Project Finance Law
- Public Finance Law
- Real Estate Law
- Securities / Capital Markets Law
- Securities Regulation
- Securitization and Structured Finance Law
- Tax Law
- Technology Law
- Trademark Law
- Transportation Law
- Trusts and Estates
- Venture Capital Law
- Water Law