With nearly 200 attorneys, Gibbons is a leading law firm in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Washington, DC, and Florida, ranked among the nation’s top 200 by The American Lawyer. Gibbons has been recognized nationally for its work – for example, as one of only 20 law firms on the National Law Journal’s inaugural “Midsize Hot List” – as well as regionally. The New Jersey Law Journal has awarded Gibbons a “Litigation Practice of the Year” designation four times in recent years, in the class actions, products liability, commercial litigation categories and with the overall “General Litigation Practice of the Year” honor. Law360 has also highlighted the firm’s multidisciplinary litigation strength, and its contributions to several high-profile corporate and real estate transactions in the public and private sectors, in its “Regional Powerhouse” series. Gibbons was also selected as “Best Law Firm” and a top three lobbying firm in New Jersey in the NJBIZ Reader Ranking Awards for the past two years. The firm has been certified as a great workplace by the independent analysts at the Great Place to Work® organization.
The firm stands out among competitors by staying true to a middle-market vision. Our business model is focused on offering high quality, cost-effective legal services, handling major matters for mid-market companies (with annual revenues of $100 million to $2.5 billion) and mid-market matters for Fortune 500 companies, notably in the Mid-Atlantic region and expanding down the East Coast. With headquarters in Newark, New Jersey and seven other thriving offices, Gibbons has a presence that lends itself to exceptional regional coverage. With cutting-edge video, audio, and network technology linking all of our offices, we are able to close major deals and devise litigation strategies for matters that involve Gibbons attorneys across several firm offices and client representatives throughout a number of their own locations – as if we were all in the same room.
Gibbons maintains offices in Newark, Trenton, and Red Bank, New Jersey; New York, New York; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Wilmington, Delaware; and West Palm Beach, Florida.
For more information about Gibbons, please see www.gibbonslaw.com.
Commercial & Criminal Litigation: Handling sophisticated and complex commercial litigation, including securities class actions, antitrust, RICO actions, shareholder and partnership disputes, contract disputes, Consumer Fraud Act claims, Lanham Act, restrictive covenants, business torts (including fraud and misrepresentation, intentional interference, unfair competition, trade libel, trade secret theft), bankruptcy litigation, class action defense, construction litigation, and insurance and reinsurance. Active E-Discovery Task Force helping companies to prevent document retention and electronic discovery problems and to solve such problems that do arise. In the criminal defense arena, investigating and defending against allegations of business, accounting, securities, bank, insurance, tax, healthcare, and government contract fraud. Defending clients in many high-profile investigations and prosecutions of alleged political corruption and business crime, particularly in the pharmaceutical and communications industries.
Corporate: Advising leading area and global corporations and other businesses and financial institutions on the full range of corporate law matters, including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, restructurings, joint ventures, licensing, corporate finance, commercial lending, capital raising, regulatory compliance, corporate governance, tax, and complex business transactions requiring novel solutions, as well as serving as outside general counsel.
Employment & Labor Law: Representing employers in federal and state courts, in litigation involving discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour, employment contract, restrictive covenant, wrongful discharge, employee benefits, and ERISA claims. Providing preventive and compliance counseling and training with an emphasis on discipline and discharge, harassment, disability-related leaves and accommodations, workforce restructurings, restrictive covenants, and executive compensation. Conducting workplace investigations and audits of employment practices. Addressing the full range of traditional labor issues.
Environmental: Handling all areas of environmental law, including providing assistance with a variety of clients’ litigation, regulatory, permitting, redevelopment, and transactional needs.
Financial Restructuring & Creditors’ Rights: Representing creditors, debtors, and various fiduciaries in all aspects of complex business insolvency issues and proceedings, including federal bankruptcy proceedings; state court litigation involving receiverships, attachments, replevins, and foreclosures; out-of-court workouts and related debtor and creditor relations counseling to resolve insolvency issues; and disputes outside of formal proceedings.
Government & Regulatory Affairs: Counseling entities in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors on state and federal government relations issues, including legislative lobbying, regulatory counseling, and interaction with state agencies.
Intellectual Property: Providing a full range of patent, trademark, copyright, unfair competition, e-commerce, trade secret, and computer and internet law experience in the areas of litigation, strategic licensing and transactional work, patent prosecution, trademark and copyright registrations, corporate due diligence, intellectual property audits, and general intellectual property counseling.
Products Liability: Representing product manufacturers in a variety of industries. Defending pharmaceutical and medical/surgical device manufacturers, as well as diagnostic laboratories, in complex matters involving issues such as purported adverse effects; design, warnings, and/or manufacturing defects; and results of laboratory analyses. Defending industrial equipment, automotive, and consumer product manufacturers in a wide variety of claims relating to products liability issues.
Real Property: Providing real estate counseling and litigation services for all types of properties. Extensive real property practice handling sales, purchases, and development of properties, including office buildings, industrial and flex buildings, retail centers, apartment buildings, and hotels.
International Work: Providing full services to international clients doing business in the U.S., as well as to U.S. clients operating in international markets. Gibbons is also a member of the Geneva Group International, a network of independent professional service firms offering a full range of legal, accounting, and other services worldwide.
Top Listed State Awards
- Top Listed in New Jersey with 59 lawyers
Top Listed City Awards
- Top Listed in Newark with 56 lawyers
- Top Listed in Newark in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law with 5 lawyers
- Top Listed in Newark in Environmental Law with 4 lawyers
- Top Listed in Newark in Litigation - Bankruptcy with 4 lawyers
- Top Listed in Newark in Litigation - Environmental with 5 lawyers
- Chambers USA Guide to America's Leading Lawyers for Business: The most recent edition features ten Gibbons practice areas and 23 individual Gibbons attorneys in its rankings.
- Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers Rising Stars: In most recent annual rankings, 80 attorneys listed across three state editions.
- Law360 “Regional Powerhouses”: Named a “New Jersey Powerhouse” law firm four times in recent years, based on high-profile public and private sector corporate and real estate transactions and litigations.
- Benchmark Litigation "Highly Recommended" Firms: The 2020 edition highlights Gibbons as one of only seven New Jersey law firms to earn the publication’s top honor, and also individually recognizes nine Gibbons attorneys.
- NJBIZ Reader Rankings: Named "Best Law Firm" and a "Top 3 Lobbying Firm" for both years the feature has been published.
- New Jersey Law Journal Litigation Departments of the Year: Statewide 1st place ranking four times - overall "general litigation" honors and class action, product liability & commercial litigation categories.
- Top Lawyer-Lobbying Firm in New Jersey: Ranked the state’s #1 lawyer-lobbying firm for eleven years in a row, according to the New Jersey Election Law Enforcement Commission.
- DOW JONES Private Equity Analyst “Most Active Law Firms”: For six straight years, ranked among the country’s most active law firms in the private equity arena.
- Intellectual Asset Management "IAM Patent 1000": Firm and several individual attorneys regularly listed among "The World's Leading Patent Practitioners."
- Law360 “Most Innovative Managing Partners”: Chairman and Managing Director Patrick Dunican featured in series focusing on firm leaders' “fresh approaches, tough decision-making, and willingness to take risks."
- New Jersey Law Journal "Distinguished Leaders": Chairman and Managing Director Patrick C. Dunican Jr. selected in 2017 for this statewide recognition.
- New Jersey Law Journal Lifetime Achievement Awards: Statewide lifetime honor so far earned by Gibbons attorneys Christine A. Amalfe, Thomas J. Cafferty, Michael R. Griffinger, Lawrence S. Lustberg, and James R. Zazzali.
- New Jersey Law Journal "New Jersey Lawyer of the Year": Gibbons Director Lawrence S. Lustberg selected in 2013.
- ROI-NJ "Influencers": Patrick Dunican is regularly featured on this statewide list of NJ's most influential leaders; Government & Regulatory Affairs Director Christine Stearns is regularly named on the healthcare list.
- NJBIZ "Power 100" List: Chairman and Managing Director Patrick Dunican one of the very few people featured every year on this annual list of the most influential people in New Jersey business.
- NJBIZ "Law Power 50" List: Patrick Dunican, Chairman and Managing Director of Gibbons, and William J. Palatucci, Special Counsel, are featured on this list of the most influential attorneys in New Jersey.
- NJBIZ “Icon Award”: Gibbons attorneys Thomas J. Cafferty, Michael R. Griffinger, and James R. Zazzali have been honored in this annual feature celebrating distinguished and accomplished senior New Jersey business leaders.
- NJBIZ Magazine "Best Places to Work in New Jersey": 14 consecutive years on the list.
- Working Mother and Flex-Time Lawyers "Best Law Firms for Women": Ranked again in 2019, and one of only 17 firms nationwide inducted into "Best Law Firms for Women Hall of Fame" for appearing on the annual list at least ten times.
- Women in Law Empowerment Forum Gold Standard Certification: Earned for four consecutive years.
- Great Place to Work® Organization: Certified a "Great Workplace" and one of the country's "Best Medium Workplaces."
- New Jersey Business & Industry Association "Outstanding Employer" Award: Statewide honor earned for the Gibbons Leadership Academy, a high-level program to identify and train the firm's next generation of leaders.
- Commerce & Industry Association of New Jersey: "Champion of Good Works" and "Best Practices" Awards.
- Profiles in Diversity Journal: Numerous "Innovations in Diversity," "Diversity Leadership," and "Women Worth Watching" Awards.
Firm Practice Areas
- Antitrust Law
- Appellate Practice
- Banking and Finance Law
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Copyright Law
- Corporate Compliance Law
- Corporate Governance Law
- Corporate Law
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Electronic Discovery and Information Management Law
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Employment Law - Management
- Environmental Law
- First Amendment Law
- Franchise Law
- Government Relations Practice
- Health Care Law
- Insurance Law
- Labor Law - Management
- Land Use and Zoning Law
- Litigation - Antitrust
- Litigation - Banking and Finance
- Litigation - Bankruptcy
- Litigation - Construction
- Litigation - Environmental
- Litigation - ERISA
- Litigation - First Amendment
- Litigation - Health Care
- Litigation - Insurance
- Litigation - Intellectual Property
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Litigation - Land Use and Zoning
- Litigation - Mergers and Acquisitions
- Litigation - Patent
- Litigation - Real Estate
- Litigation - Regulatory Enforcement (SEC, Telecom, Energy)
- Litigation - Securities
- Litigation - Trusts and Estates
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
- Media Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Patent Law
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
- Privacy and Data Security Law
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Public Finance Law
- Real Estate Law
- Securities Regulation
- Tax Law
- Trade Secrets Law
- Trademark Law
- Trusts and Estates
300 Delaware Avenue, Suite 1015
Wilmington, DE 19801-1671
District of Columbia
District of Columbia
500 North Capitol Street NW, Suite 310
Washington, DC 20001-1531
2054 Vista Parkway, Suite 400
West Palm Beach, FL 33411-4309
One Gateway Center
Newark, NJ 07102-5310
141 West Front Street, Suite 240
Red Bank, NJ 07701
50 West State Street, Suite 1104
Trenton, NJ 08608-1220
One Pennsylvania Plaza, 37th Floor
New York, NY 10119-3701
One Logan Square, Suite 1210
130 North 18th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2757