Product Liability, Fire and Explosion and other Tort Litigation
- Collapse of a natural gas drilling rig; April 19, 2008; 2 deaths
- Sofa Super Store Fire, Charleston, South Carolina: June 18, 2007; 9 deaths, significant property damage
- Water well pump house explosion; July 4, 2005; serious burn and psychological injuries
- Liquid Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion, Ivel, Kentucky: November 8, 2004; numerous burns, psychological and other personal injuries and substantial property damage
- West Pharmaceutical Plant Explosion, Kinston, North Carolina: January 29, 2003; 6 deaths; 38 injuries alleged
- Rhode Island Station Nightclub Fire, West Warwick, Rhode Island: February 20, 2003; 100 deaths; 100+ injuries alleged
- West Virginia Tobacco Litigation: 1999-2003
- Defense of natural gas producer in claim arising out of an explosion at a water injection facility: August 7, 2001; serious burns resulting in death
- Howard Johnson/Holiday Inn Fire, Bowling Green, Kentucky: January 6, 1996; 4 deaths; 16 injured
- Rio Piedros explosion, San Juan, Puerto Rico; November 21, 1996; 33 deaths
- Imperial Food Products, Hamlet, North Carolina: September 3, 1991; 25 deaths
- Meridian Plaza Fire, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: February 23-24, 1991; 3 deaths; $1 billion in damages
- Happy Land Social Club Fire, New York, New York: March 23, 1990; 87 deaths
- San Juan Dupont Plaza Hotel Fire, San Juan, Puerto Rico: December 31, 1986; 97 deaths; numerous injuries
- Younkers Department Store, Des Moines, Iowa: November 5, 1978; 10 deaths
- Beverly Hills Supper Club Fire, Southgate, Kentucky: May 28, 1977; 165 deaths; numerous personal injuries
Drug, Medical Device and Pharmaceutical Litigation
- Breast Implant Litigation (MDL 926 and State Court - 8000+ Cases) - National Coordinating Counsel in defense of a polyuerethene manufacturer in nationwide class action
- Vioxx Litigation (24 State Court and 303 MDL Cases) - Defended manufacturer of Vioxx in cases brought in the state of Kentucky
- Average Wholesale Pricing Litigation - Defense of pharmaceutical manufacturer against claims brought by the Commonwealth of Kentucky involving disputed sales and pricing policies
Business and Commercial Litigation
Defense of a variety of business disputes resulting in litigation in the state courts, federal courts and commercial arbitrations. These cases involved issues arising from buy-sell agreements, stock and business valuation, asset purchase agreements, commercial leases, mineral leases, minority shareholder rights, fraud, tax and general breach of contract. The following are examples of business litigation cases that have resulted in reported decisions.
- Centurion Air Cargo v. United Parcel Service Co. 300 F. Supp. 2d 1281 (S. D. FL. 2004).
- Centurion Air Cargo v. UPS Co., 420 F.3d 1146 (11th Cir. 2005).
- Commerce Bank, N.A. v. Ogden, Newell & Welch, 81 F. Supp. 2d 1304 (M. D. Fla. 1999).
- First Nat'l Bank & Trust Co. v. Martin Marietta Materials, 22 F. App’x 546, 2001 WL 1480727 (6th Cir. 2001).
- H. S. Equities, Inc. v. Crouch, 698 F.2d 1220, 1982 U.S. App. LEXIS 12452 (6th Cir. 1982).
- Herm v. Stafford, 466 F. Supp. 439 (W. D. Ky. 1979).
- Inland Container Corp. v. Mason County Bd. of Educ., 6 S.W.3d 374 (Ky. 1999).
- Liberty Nat'l Bank & Trust Co. v. Foster, 737 S.W.2d 704 (Ky. Ct. App. 1987).
Defense of various employers, including a Fortune 100 Company, in employment litigation involving age discrimination, sexual harassment, breach of contracts of employment, and wrongful termination. The following are examples of employment litigation cases that have resulted in reported decisions.
- Beatty v. UPS, 267 F. Supp. 2d 823 (S. D. Ohio 2003), aff’d, 2004 U.S. App. LEXIS 13864 (6th Cir. 2004).
- Beatty v. UPS, 103 F. App’x 860 (6th Cir. 2005).
- Clark v. UPS, 286 F. Supp. 2d 819 (W. D. Ky. 2003).
- Clark v. UPS, 400 F.3d 341 (6th Cir. 2005).
- Francis v. UPS, 288 F. Supp. 2d 882 (S. D. Ohio 2003).
- Francis v. UPS of Am., Inc., No. 3:01cv235, 2005 WL 2124134 (W. D. Ohio Aug. 29, 2005).
- Harker v. Federal Land Bank, 679 S.W.2d 226 (Ky. 1984).
- Padgett v. Kentucky Utilities Co., No. 76-0196-0(G), 1978 WL 1614 (W.D. Ky. Jan. 25, 1978).
- Szabo v. UPS, Inc., No. 02-646-C, 2004 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 10600 (W. D. Ky. May 24, 2004).
- UPS v. Rickert, 996 S.W.2d 464 (Ky. 1999).