Thomas H. Kennedy concentrates on mergers, acquisitions and other transactions, with an emphasis on the telecommunications, media and technology industries. Mr. Kennedy serves as global head of Knowledge Strategy for the firm, leading Skadden’s thought leadership, knowledge management and client communications programs across practices and offices.
He has been involved in the following transactions:
- Sprint Nextel Corporation in its acquisition of the remaining 50 percent stake in Clearwire Corporation that it does not already own (2012); and in its sale of a 78 percent stake to Softbank Corporation (Japan). This deal is the largest-ever overseas acquisition by a Japanese company (named as the “Global M&A Deal of the Year: Grand Prize” by The American Lawyer) (2012). Both transactions were recognized in the Corporate & Commercial category in the Financial Times’ 2013 U.S. “Innovative Lawyers” report;
- Genesis HealthCare in the acquisition of the majority of its real estate assets by Health Care REIT, Inc. (2011);
- GTCR Golder Rauner, LLC in its acquisition of Protection One, Inc. (2010);
- SkyTerra Communications, Inc. in its acquisition by Harbinger Capital Partners (2009-2010);
- affiliates of John A. Catsimatidis in connection with their involvement in the Chapter 11 reorganization of SemGroup, LP (2009);
- XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. in its merger of equals with SIRIUS Satellite Radio Inc. (2007-2008);
- MetroPCS Communications, Inc. in a proposal to acquire Leap Wireless International, Inc. (2007);
- the Dolan family (as co-counsel) in its proposed going-private acquisition of Cablevision Systems Corporation (2007);
- Foot Locker, Inc. in its attempted acquisition of Genesco Inc. (2007);
- Tyco International Ltd. in its separation into three independent publicly owned companies (2005-2007); and
- Aviall, Inc. in its acquisition by The Boeing Company (2006).
Mr. Kennedy also has significant experience in the air transportation industry, including past work for UAL Corporation and United Airlines; US Airways Group, Inc.; Aerolíneas Argentinas; Iberia Líneas Aéreas de España; and Polar Air Cargo.
Mr. Kennedy has practiced in the merger and acquisition arena since 1981 and has significant experience in hostile transactions, leveraged buyouts, bankruptcy and reorganization matters, special committees, proxy fights and other corporate governance matters. He repeatedly has been selected for inclusion in Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America and Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America. Mr. Kennedy is a member of the New York City Bar Association, where he has been a member of the Committee on Securities Regulation. Until recently, he was chairman of the board of directors of Lawyers Alliance for New York, a provider of business and transactional legal services for nonprofit organizations. Mr. Kennedy currently is national chairman of the Annual Fund for Georgetown University Law Center.
To view a list of Mr. Kennedy's additional technology and telecommunications industry transactions, please click here.