Lisa Munger has practiced in the fields of environmental law, antitrust law, land use and commercial litigation since 1978. In the field of environmental law, Ms. Munger represents businesses and landowners in litigation, permitting and compliance programs. In the field of commercial litigation, Ms. Munger represents clients in class actions, complex litigation, procurement hearings, and administrative and civil land use proceedings. In the field of antitrust law, Ms. Munger represents businesses in the defense of civil litigation and criminal investigations.
Her environmental and land use law experience includes:
- Air: Defended clients in civil and administrative enforcement actions and citizen’s suits; provided covered source permit assistance and defended appeals and contested cases from air permits; provided counseling and defense in asbestos matters.
- Water: Defended clients in wetlands, NPDES, storm water and safe drinking water cases brought by government and citizen groups.
- Wastes: Represented large quantity generators in enforcement and remedial actions, counseled small quantity generators in hazardous waste compliance, obtained solid waste permits and handled procurement hearing for waste export bid.
- Hazardous Substances: Represented industry group in drafting Hawaii's Environmental Response Law, obtained settlements for clients in Mainland Superfund sites, represented clients in Hawaii Superfund, environmental response law, underground storage tank and voluntary response program matters; defended clients in litigation concerning PCB regulations.
- Environmental Impact Statements: Defended clients in multiple lawsuits challenging federal and state environmental impact statements; assisted clients in preparation of environmental impact statements.
- Land Use: Represented clients before County and State agencies, in contested cases and in land use litigation; represented clients regarding endangered species and habitat conversation plans.
Her commercial litigation and antitrust experience includes:
- Unfair and deceptive trade practices and unfair methods of competition: Represented clients in class actions and cases brought by the Hawai‘i Attorney General for violation of HRS Chapter 480.
- Criminal Antitrust Matters: Represented clients in price fixing investigations brought by the Department of Justice.
- Civil Antitrust Litigation: Represented clients in price fixing cases brought by the State of Hawai‘i and by private litigants; represented clients in government, citizen’s suit and individual cases alleging price fixing, monopolization, unfair competition, unfair and deceptive acts and practices and price discrimination.
- Civil Investigation Demands: Assisted clients in responding to requests from the Department of Justice, Federal Trade Commission and the State of Hawai‘i Attorney General’s office.
- Compliance Counseling: Assisted clients with antitrust issues and developed training programs for antitrust compliance.
Ms. Munger is the editor of the Hawaii Environmental Law Handbook (published by Government Institutes, 3rd Edition, 2000). This Handbook is designed to provide a guide to Hawaii 's environmental laws that affect the private sector, including businesses and real property owners. She is the author of the Hawaii Chapter, State Antitrust Practice and Statutes (American Bar Association, 3d Edition, 2004).
She was awarded Phi Beta Kappa at the University of California at Los Angeles and was a founder and Editor in Chief of the Harvard Women’s Law Journal.