John's practice focuses on oral advocacy in respect of complex corporate/commercial litigation including shareholder disputes, corporate fraud, commercial torts, professional negligence and the representation of financial institutions with respect to security enforcement and priority disputes. John has also acted as litigation counsel in connection with a wide variety of insolvency and restructuring proceedings. He has appeared at all levels of the Ontario Courts, and before the Federal Court and the Supreme Court of Canada. John was a partner at a large national law firm, but left to join TGF as a partner in 2007.
- Acted on behalf of a committee of contesting bondholders in the BCE privatization, which involved the world's largest leveraged buy-out with an enterprise value of $52 billion, ultimately appearing at the Supreme Court of Canada
- Acted as litigation counsel to seven Canadian airport authorities in the dispute over entitlement to seize the aircraft of Canada 3000 culminating in a successful appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada
- Litigation counsel for Cerberus Capital Management L.P., a potential equity investor in the restructuring of Air Canada
- Counsel to Bell Canada International Inc. in connection with its Plan of Arrangement under the Canada Business Corporations Act and related class proceedings
- Counsel to the Federal Government in relation to numerous mining insolvencies including Curragh Inc., Anvil Range and Royal Oak Mines
John has spoken at a number of seminars and conferences, and has spoken to the University of Western Ontario, Faculty of Law about the implications of the BCE case.
John is a member of The Advocates' Society, INSOL International, the Toronto Lawyers Association, the Canadian Bar Association and the Ontario Bar Association, Civil Litigation Section.