Jim Williams' practice is concentrated in business litigation and corporate matters for both businesses and professional organizations. Over his career, he has handled many complex business cases in federal and state courts, the North Carolina Business Court, and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims involving class actions, securities, antitrust, corporate governance, and other kinds of business disputes.
Jim's litigation skills have been recognized by his peers. In 2012, Jim received the John B. McMillan Distinguished Service Award, the highest award bestowed by the North Carolina State Bar. In 2010, he was honored as the third person to receive the Advocate's Award, given by the North Carolina Bar Association's Litigation Section in recognition of superstars of the profession. Jim was twice recognized as the leading business litigator in North Carolina by Business North Carolina (2002 and 2003) and thereafter as a member of its "Legal Elite Hall of Fame". He has consistently been listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White), earning the designation of "Greensboro Bet-the-Company Litigation Lawyer of the Year" for the 2009 and 2013 editions. North Carolina Super Lawyers listed him among the top ten lawyers in North Carolina in 2006-2013. He also has been recognized as one of the leading attorneys in Litigation: General Commercial, by Chambers USA, "America's Leading Business Lawyers," 2004-2013.
Jim is a member of The American College of Trial Lawyers and served as Chair of the North Carolina State Committee of The American College of Trial Lawyers (2002-04). He served as Chairman of the Brooks Pierce Management Committee from 1996 to 2009.
Honors & Awards
Professional & Community Activities
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Antitrust Law, Education Law; Greensboro "Lawyer of the Year" for Antitrust Law (2015)
- Recognized by his peers for inclusion in Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite" in Litigation (2002-2003, 2005, 2007) and Antitrust and Trade Law (2002-2003); also permanently recognized in the "Legal Elite Hall of Fame"
- Recognized in North Carolina Super Lawyers in Business Litigation (2006-2015); Top 100 (2006-2015); Top 10 Lawyers (2006-2009, 2011-2013)
- Recognized by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business for Litigation: General Commercial (2004-2016), Antitrust Law (2008-2014, Senior Statesman 2016) and as a star individual in Litigation (2007)
- Received the John B. McMillan Distinguished Service Award, the highest award bestowed by the North Carolina State Bar (2012)
- Received the Distinguished Service Award from the Greensboro Bar Association (2014)
- Chair (2009-2012) and Member (2002--), Board of Trustees, Wake Forest University
- Board Member, Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, (2012--)
- Board Member, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, 2008--
- Chair (2007-2009), and Member, Board of Directors (2004-2010), Community Foundation of Greater Greensboro
- Member, Board of Trustees, Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina, 1997-2001, 2006-2011
- Chair, NC State Committee of American College of Trial Lawyers, 2002-04
- Member, Greensboro City Board of Education, 1984-88