Heather is a senior practitioner in the areas of banking and insolvency law, with an emphasis on large-scale insolvencies, restructurings and corporate work-outs with a particular focus on real estate insolvencies. She routinely represents institutional lenders, including the Bank of Montreal and HSBC Bank Canada, Trustees in Bankruptcy and Receivers. Heather also advises significant financial services clients with respect to insolvencies, realizations and the recovery of defaulted commercial loans.
Heather has also had significant experience representing and advising companies in the process of restructuring under insolvency legislation. She is the Past Chair of the B.C. Insolvency Section of the Canadian Bar Association and the current National Chair of the National Insolvency Section and has published numerous papers and articles on insolvency topics.
Heather has represented:
• Aviva Canada Inc. regarding the New Home Warranty Coverage on Millennium Southeast False Creek Properties Ltd.
• Bank of Montreal in the receivership of Pointe of View Developments Ltd., a real estate development project in Squamish, BC
• A&E Television during the CanWest Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act (“CCAA”)
• Bank of Montreal in the receivership of Holman Lang Vineyards
• The Bowra Group Inc. as Receiver-Managers regarding various real estate development projects including “Essencia Verde”, “King’s Legacy”, “The Mountaineer”, “The Sophia”, “Amadeo”, “Riverbend”, “Garden City Richmond” and “Chandler Homer Street”
• The Cliffs Over Maple Bay Ltd. during its CCAA restructuring concerning a residential development and PGA golf course
• Edwards & Associating Logging Ltd. during its CCAA restructuring
• K&D Logging Ltd. in its bid as a creditor company to purchase certain assets of Pope & Talbot Ltd., during P&T’s filing for protection under the CCAA and subsequent ongoing bankruptcy
• Western Canadian Coal Corp. as purchaser of the assets of Pine Valley Mining Corporation during its restructuring under the CCAA
• United Properties Limited during its restructuring under the CCAA
• T-Mar Industries Ltd. who completed a successful restructuring under the CCAA
• PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc., in its capacity as Judicial Trustee of Eron Mortgage Corporation
• PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc., in its capacity as Monitor in the CCAA proceedings commenced by Global Light Communications Inc.
• Campbell, Saunders Ltd. in its capacity as Judicial Trustee of Strategic Concepts Investment Trustee
• Campbell, Saunders Ltd. as Receiver of Drury Management Pty Ltd., on the appointment of the Australian Securities Commission