Edwin S. Maynard is a partner in the Corporate Department and head of the Canadian Practice Group. He focuses primarily on corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions, with an emphasis on cross-border transactions. Ted has represented many U.S., Canadian and other non-U.S. issuers in a broad range of securities offerings, public and private, equity and debt and in cross-border acquisitions and restructurings, both public and private.
and Who's Who Legal
Ted has recently represented:
- Agrium Inc. in connection with its successful proxy contest with JANA Partners; $4.9 billion unsolicited offer to acquire CF Industries; a public offering of $1.4 billion of common stock; public offerings of investment grade debt since 2006 totaling $2.8 billion; and its $2.7 billion acquisition of UAP;
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in connection with a Rule 144A offering of $5 billion of debt securities, the largest non-governmental offering by any Canadian issuer in the United States to date;
- The Government of Canada in connection with the$23.4 billion initial public offering by General Motors Company (GM) of common stock and convertible preferred stock. The Canadian Government held approximately 12 percent of GM's common stock. The IPO was the biggest in North American history;
- Maple Group Acquisition Corporation, a consortium of thirteen leading Canadian financial institutions, pension funds and capital markets participants, in an unsolicited, but ultimately friendly, Cdn$3.8 billion acquisition of TMX Group, the public parent of the Toronto Stock Exchange;
- Methanex Corporation, the world's largest supplier of methanol to major international markets, in a public offering of $350 million of senior notes;
- Nexen Inc., a Canadian-based energy company, in its $15.1 billion acquisition by China National Offshore Oil Company (CNOOC), China's largest producer of offshore crude oil and natural gas.