Andrew Elbaz is a partner in Minden Gross LLP's Business Law Group and the Chair of its Securities and Capital Markets Group. Andrew joined the firm in June 2016 from a large international law firm, where he was a partner. Andrew’s practice focuses on initial public offerings, public offerings, private placements, mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures in a variety of industries including mining, technology, life sciences and oil & gas. Andrew is recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada as one of Canada’s leading lawyers in the area of Mining Law.
Andrew regularly acts for issuers based in Canada, the United States, and around the globe looking to access Canadian capital market opportunities and list on the Toronto Stock Exchange or the TSX Venture Exchange. Andrew also regularly acts for leading Canadian investment banks on domestic and cross-border public and private financings, as well as advising on mergers and acquisitions.
As part of his practice, Andrew advises public companies on corporate and securities law matters, including continuous disclosure obligations and other regulatory compliance issues. His international practice includes representing clients in the United States, Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. To further his securities and capital market experience, Andrew was seconded to the Corporate Finance Branch of the Ontario Securities Commission in 2009.
Practice and Key Industries
Emerging Growth Markets
Lending and Secured Transactions
Mergers and Acquisitions
Private Equity and Venture Capital
Initial Public Offerings (IPOs)
Oil & Gas
- Mackie Research Capital Corporation: Advised Mackie Research Capital Corporation with respect to the CAD$6.9 million best efforts short-form prospectus offering of Eguana Technologies Inc. (TSXV: EGT), a leading supplier of power control solutions for residential and commercial energy storage systems.
- Underwriters: Advised Dundee Securities Ltd. and Rodman & Renshaw, a unit of H.C. Wainwright & Co., LLC, in connection with the US$10.5 million offering and sale of units of Uranium Energy Corp. by way of an MJDS Prospectus Supplement.
- Underwriters: Advised Dundee Securities Ltd. on behalf of a syndicate of underwriters, including Raymond James Ltd., Cantor Fitzgerald Canada Corporation and Macquarie Capital Markets Canada Ltd., in connection with a bought deal offering of 25,645,000 units of NexGen Energy Ltd. for aggregate proceeds of CAD$11 million.
- Mackie Research Capital Corporation: Advised, as Canadian counsel, with respect to the CAD$9.2 million short-form prospectus offering, sponsorship, and concurrent Toronto Stock Exchange listing of Helius Medical Technologies, Inc.
- Portfolio Strategies Securities Inc.: Acted for the dealers on a cross-border secured convertible debenture private placement for a US-based medical device company.
- Sunel Securities Inc.: Advised the lead agent on the going public transaction of Vaxil Bio Ltd., the first Israeli bio-technology company to list on the TSXV. Vaxil Bio Ltd. is an Israeli bio-technology company focused on immuno-oncology and innovative cancer treatments.
- BayFront Capital Partners Inc.: Advised the Agent with respect to the CAD$2.6 million Canadian listing and private placement of H-Source Inc.