Rodríguez Azuero Contexto Legal Abogados is a law firm that resulted from the merger of three of the most important law firms in Colombia.
On the one hand Rodriguez-Azuero Abogados, founded in 1980 by Dr. Sergio Rodriguez Azuero, has been highly recognized as one of the most prestigious law firms in the areas of Banking and Finance; Securities and Capital Market; Insurance; Infrastructure, Structured, Project and Corporate Finance; Compliance, Risks Management, AML and Anti-corruption; Family Businesses and Estate Planning; Litigation, Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
On the other hand, Context Legal and Contexto Intelectual, two law firms created with national projection in 2005 in the city of Medellin, has provided specialized legal services to important national and international companies, groups and families, with a broad portfolio in different areas of business and Intellectual Property law, highly regarded in Medellin and Colombia as a leading law firm in the areas of Mergers and Acquisitions; Corporate; Tax and Foreign Exchange; Antitrust and Competition, Labor and Immigration; Real Estate; Insolvency and Bankruptcy; Environmental; Public Procurement and Intellectual Property.
Based on a close and personal relationship with its clients, with a team of more than 50 lawyers and strong presence in Bogotá and Medellín, Rodríguez Azuero Contexto Legal Abogados is one of the most prestigious and reliable firms in Colombia and Latin America.
Widely recognized as a nationwide leading law firm that provides specialized and tailored legal services with a managerial and strategic approach for both local and international clients.
In addition to a strong presence in Latin America, the Firm attracts international clients from the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia and Africa. The Firm focuses its international practice on advising multilateral and multinational banks on complex financing operations, international companies on sector specific regulatory issues regarding mergers and acquisitions, and domestic companies on large scale international expansions. Most of our attorneys possess a fluent English, and some a third language, Masters Degrees from top tier international law schools, and possess extensive experience working in foreign jurisdictions.
MAIN PRACTICE AREAS
Banking and Finance Law: Rodríguez Azuero Contexto Legal advises credit institutions, financial service companies and other key players within the financial industry. Clients repeatedly rely on the Firm for advice on highly complex regulatory and transactional matters, product development and the review of internal policies and procedures. Rodríguez-Azuero has gained strong industry-wide confidence among the Colombian banking sector, currently representing some of the largest banks and industry leaders across the country.
Capital Markets and Securities Law: Rodríguez Azuero Contexto Legaladvises clients, both managers and investors, on matters regarding private and public offerings as well as the design and negotiation of structured products and derivatives.
Insurance Law: Rodríguez-Azuero advises local and international insurance institutions on complex regulatory issues that can impact their domestic and international activities, especially regulatory issues regarding insurance brokerage companies
Infrastructure, Project Finance and Structured Finance: Rodríguez-Azuero advises clients on some of the most high-impact and sophisticated infrastructure development projects in Colombia. Additionally, the Firm works on corporate and project financing transactions in connection with credit agreements (including mezzanine financing, A-B and participation agreements), intercreditor agreements, guarantee and payment structures and tax planning and advisory services related to projects and key stakeholders.
Compliance, Risk Management, Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Corruption: Rodríguez Azuero Contexto Legal advises clients regarding compliance and risk management issues that can impact their domestic and international activities. One of the Firm´s partners has designed and implemented effective compliance programs in various sectors and industries, currently representing large domestic companies and multinationals in some of the country´s most complex and high profile compliance matters.
Corporate and Commercial Law: Rodríguez Azuero Contexto Legal advises clients from all economic sectors, including financial, construction, mining, telecommunications, energy, transportation, maritime and agro-industry.
Mergers and Acquisitions: Rodríguez Azuero Contexto Legal represents a diverse range of clients of varying sizes and markets, regarding relevant mergers, acquisitions, split-offs, joint ventures and sales of substantial company assets. The Firm’s experience includes the largest buyout deal ever by a Colombian purchaser outside the country regarding purchase price.
Tax and foreign exchange: Rodríguez-Azuero advises clients from different industries on tax and currency exchange matters pertaining to contracts, corporate structure and reorganization, estate planning, requests by Colombian tax authority and investigations and litigation before Colombian courts.
Antitrust and Competition Law: Rodríguez Azuero Contexto Legal advises clients on anti-competitive practices, dominant position abuse, unfair competition and matters connected with corporate mergers and acquisitions. The Firm also provides advice on international matters regarding anti-dumping, subsidies and safeguard measures.
Family-Owned Businesses and Estate Planning: Rodríguez Azuero Contexto Legal advises sophisticated family businesses on organization and asset structuring for purposes of creating practical and efficient tax solutions. The Firm also drafts and implements family protocols and corporate governance documents that facilitate long-term business and corporate practices within family owned companies.
Litigation, Arbitration and Dispute Resolution: Rodríguez Azuero Contexto Legal advises clients in both arbitration and judicial proceedings and has in-depth expertise in cases involving banking, guarantees, telecommunications and commercial disputes. The Firm’s partners serve as arbitrators in various jurisdictions, including the British Columbia International Commercial Arbitration Centre, the London Court of International Arbitration, the G-3 Convention (Colombia, Mexico and Venezuela), the Chamber of Commerce of Bogotá, and a judge (conjuez) on the Colombian Constitutional Court.
Administrative and Public Procurement law: Rodríguez Azuero Contexto Legal advises clients on matters regarding public contracts, structuring of public bids, and assists clients in filing appeals and claims before administrative courts and governmental entitities.
Languages: English, French, and Spanish.
Calle 75 # 3 – 53 Bogotá – Colombia
Tels. (+571) 321 8910
Calle 11B # 41 - 53 Medellín – Colombia
Tels. (+574) 604 0433
Rodríguez Azuero Contexto Legal Abogados advises both local and international financial entities on complex regulatory compliance issues that could impact their domestic and international business activities.
The firm has served as a key player in the Banking and Finance sector for over three decades and is one of the top firms that provides legal services for trust companies and financial entities on banking and securities regulation.
Rodríguez Azuero Contexto Legal Abogados specializes in providing legal counsel to both public and private sector clients in structuring innovative trust businesses and financial vehicles, to establish flexible and reliable mechanisms to develop diverse projects and business activities.
The firm continues to build on its core strength in litigation in the Banking and Finance arena. We continue to represent clients in some of the most high profile litigation matters. Key cases include but are not limited to the following:
- Represents more than 150 victims of the Premium Capital Appreciation Fund scandal resulting from the Interbolsa S.A liquidation, before the Superintendencia de Sociedades. Value of the fund as of 2012 was USD $176 million;
- Represents a group of investors directly affected by Interbolsa Brokerage Firm´s default and bankruptcy proceeding in connection with investor´s Repo transactions entered in the Colombian Stock Exchange. In November 2012, the market value of the repo transactions is USD $5 million.
- With the entry of partner, Daniel Rodríguez Bravo, the firm has helped grow the project finance area to include specialized and catered services for foreign and domestic companies and multi-lateral banks conducting high value credit and guarantee operations. A few examples of key cases are as follows:
- Represents the Inter-American Development Bank on several local matters related to a loan operations, including extending a $50 million loan to a Payroll loan company and conducting a due diligence on a local mortgage financing company requesting financing operations;
- Represents investors in the financial structuring of a Biodiesel plant which includes the negotiation of the credit agreement and guarantees for financing operations, as well as incorporation of the Special Purpose Vehicle, drafting of raw material supply contracts, engineering, and procurement and construction contracts.
Our client list includes:
- Asobancaria (Colombian bank association);
- Asofiduciarias (Colombian trust association);
- Investors of the Stanford Group and Premium Capital Appreciation Fund;
- Grupo Bancolombia (including numerous matters and multiple entities of the Group);
- Grupo Sura – Suramericana (including numerous matters and multiple entities of the Group);
- Banco Davivienda and Grupo Bolivar (including numerous matters and multiple entities of the Group)
- Grupo Colpatria (including numerous matters and multiple entities of the Group)
- Scotiabank (in Colombia and other jurisdictions);
- BNP Paribas (including numerous matters and multiple entities of the Group);
- Citibank (including numerous matters and multiple entities of the Group);
- BTG Pactual (Colombia and Brazil);
- Grupo BBVA (including numerous matters and multiple entities of the Group across different jurisdictions);
- Grupo Santander (including numerous matters and multiple entities of the Group across different jurisdictions);
- The Inter-American Development Bank -IDB- (including some of its affiliates and subsidiaries);
- Mastercard (including numerous matters and multiple entities of the Group across different jurisdictions);
- Banco de Chile (leading Chilean bank);
- Banchile (investment arm of Banco de Chile Group);
- Grupo LAFISE (presence in Colombia, Panamá and Central America);
- Grupo Gentera (leading microfinance services company in Mexico);
- Grupo Elektra and Banco Azteca (leading microfinance services company in Mexico);
- Fiduciaria de Bogotá (main and leading trust company of Grupo Aval);
- Fiduciaria Corficolombiana (main and leading trust company on infrastructure related matters of Grupo Aval);
- Fiduciaria Alianza (third leading independent trust company in Colombia);
- CIFIN (top Colombian credit bureau);
- Responsibility Investment (multiple jurisdictions in Europe and the Americas);
- Banco de las Microfinanzas-Bancamía (one of the top two leading Colombian banks in microfinance);
- WWB Colombia (one of the top two leading Colombian banks in microfinance);
- Credifamilia Compañía de Financiamiento (leading Colombian microfinance housing bank);
- Afluenta (leading crowd funding company in Argentina);
- FONTUR (Colombian Tourism Fund – manages the single largest fund in Colombia);
- Oportunidad Colombia (Colombian private equity fund);
- Cardinal Compañía de Seguros (Colombian insurance company)Allianz (Colombian insurance company);
- Previsora Seguros (Colombian insurance company);
- Confianza (Ecuadorian insurance company);
- Cámara de Riesgo Central De Contraparte de Colombia (key player in the Colombian Financial System);
- Pagos Online (top leading payments system platform in Latin America);
- ISA (major player in the Colombia energy and infrastructure sector);
- Alvopetro Energy (leading Canadian Oil & Gas and infrastructure company);
- Hochtief (leading German infrastructure and construction company);
- The Haskell Company (leading US design-build and construction management company);
- Empresa Virgilio Barco (SPV responsible for the single largest infrastructure project in the country);
- Pacific Rubiales Energy (leading Oil & Gas and infrastructure company);
- Ecopetrol (leading Oil & Gas and infrastructure company);
- Agencia Nacional de Hidrocarburos – ANH (Colombian Oil & Gas authority);
- XM S.A. E.S.P. (key energy player in Colombia)
- Santa Marta International Terminal Company –SMITCO- (The Santa Marta Port, one of the most important ports in the country);
- Coremar (leading maritime infrastructure, transportations, and logistics company);
- Intertug (leading tug boat company);
- Grupo Empresarial Oleoflores (ranked as one of the top two company leaders in crude palm oil and biodiesel infrastructure);
- Promotora Superior S.A.S. (ranked as one of the top three company leaders in crude palm oil and biodiesel infrastructure);
- Centro de Convenciones de Cartagena (main convention center in Colombia);
- Bastión Luxury Hotel in Cartagena (one of the main luxury hotels in Cartagena, Colombia);
- OPAIN S.A. (Bogota´s airport concessionaire);
- Cámara de Comercio de Bogotá;
- Corferias (Bogota’s primary international business and exhibitions center);
- Homecenter (leading construction retail in Colombia); and
In addition to a strong presence in Latin America, the Firm attracts international clients from the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia and Africa. During 2015, the Firm focused its international practice on advising multilateral banks on complex financing operations, international companies on sector specific regulatory issues regarding mergers and acquisitions, and domestic companies on large scale international expansions. In the 2013-2014 academic year, a Firm partner served as a visiting scholar at Columbia University in New York and has served as both a speaker and advisor in more than 25 jurisdictions around the world. Another partner worked as a foreign associate in a top law firm in London and New York, and remains an active member in the International Family Business Network (FBN), formerly serving as the President of the Board of Directors. Another partner practiced for several years in Los Angeles and New York and is admitted to practice in both states. All attorneys are fluent in English, with most possessing fluency in a third language and have received Masters Degrees from top tier international law schools and possess extensive experience working in foreign jurisdictions.