Best Lawyers works with leaders in the legal marketplace to keep our practice area lists current, allowing clients and referring lawyers to more easily locate the precise expertise they are seeking.
View region-specific practice areas by first selecting a country from the drop-down below.
Entertainment Law - Music
Entertainment Law - Music Definition
The proliferation of technologies and platforms that are used to produce and distribute music, combined with the complexity of the copyright laws relating to music, creates many legal challenges for performing artists, record companies, digital services, and others who are involved in creating or using music. Attorneys who practice in the music area represent many different industry participants in negotiating and drafting agreements, advising on copyright and rights clearance issues, and resolving disputes. These participants may be involved in the production of music (e.g., record companies, music publishers, performing artists, and songwriters), the use of music (e.g., advertisers, motion picture and television producers, online music services, media outlets, and device manufacturers), or some combination of those activities.
The types of music deals that music lawyers frequently address include:
- Artist recording contracts
- License agreements for the use of music in film, television, radio, advertising, video games, live theater, and other productions
- Agreements relating to the use of music in “cloud”-based storage and playback services, Internet radio services, and other digital services
- Sponsorship and endorsement agreements with performing artists
- Agreements between artists and managers, agents, and other representatives
- Acquisition and disposition of music catalogs, including in connection with corporate transactions in the entertainment industry
These practice areas are open for nominations but are not yet included in our publications.
Click here to download a PDF of all Practice Areas. Click here to download a PDF of all Ones to Watch Practice Areas.