Billy has maintained an active civil litigation practice throughout his career. He has tried literally hundreds of wide-ranging cases to conclusion in state and federal courts across South Carolina. Likewise, he has accumulated over thirty reported decisions published by the South Carolina Court of Appeals, the South Carolina Supreme Court, and the Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
In recognition of his work as a trial lawyer, Billy was inducted as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers in 1992 and was State Chair from 1998-2000. He is also a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates.
Currently, Billy’s practice focuses on medical malpractice defense, product liability, and governmental defense in state and federal courts throughout South Carolina. Likewise, he calls upon his vast experience as a trial lawyer in serving as a certified mediator in state and federal court.
Representative Reported Cases:
- Mitchem v. Fiske-Carter Const. Co., 278 S.C. 180, 181, 293 S.E.2d 701, 701 (1982).
- Macmurphy v. S. Carolina Dep't of Highways & Pub. Transp., 295 S.C. 49, 50, 367 S.E.2d 150, 151 (1988).
- Allen E. by Cheek v. Spartanburg Cnty. Dep't of Soc. Servs., 849 F.2d 604 (4th Cir. 1988).
- Hansen v. DHL Labs., Inc., 316 S.C. 505, 507, 450 S.E.2d 624, 625 (Ct. App. 1994) cert. granted, decision aff'd, 319 S.C. 79, 459 S.E.2d 850 (1995).
- Sims v. Amisub of S. Carolina, Inc., 408 S.C. 202, 205, 758 S.E.2d 187, 189 (Ct. App. 2014), reh'g denied (May 19, 2014), cert. granted (Nov. 19, 2014).