Bill McNairy primarily represents privately-held companies and the families that own them. His practice includes representation in connection with mergers, acquisitions, and dispositions of businesses (including public offerings, going private transactions, transactions with private equity firms, and other negotiated transactions). He counsels businesses through complex tax saving strategies and advises families on the transfer of control of family businesses to the next generation of owners in an income, gift and estate tax efficient manner.
In addition, Bill represents clients before the Internal Revenue Service, the Tax Court, the United States District Court, the United States Fourth Circuit of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court. Additionally, Bill has been a Certified Public Accountant in North Carolina since 1970.
Honors & Awards
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America for Tax Law and Trusts and Estates Law
- Recognized as a member of North Carolina's "Legal Elite" in Tax/Estate Planning Law (2002, 2005-2007, 2009-2010, 2013-2014) and in Business Law (2003,2011) by Business North Carolina magazine
- Recognized in North Carolina Super Lawyers in Tax Law, 2006-2014
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Tax Section, North Carolina Bar Association
- Member, Tax Section, American Bar Association
- Brooks Pierce Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016
- Brooks Pierce Attorneys Named Super Lawyers, North Carolina Super Lawyers