Tom Metzger is a nationally recognized employment law advisor, litigator, and trainer. With a career spanning over 20 years, he has developed expertise representing employers and executives in connection with covenants-not-to-compete, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) regulatory and litigation matters, discrimination and retaliation claims, contract disputes, and related workplace matters.
Tom represents employers and executives throughout the United States in a wide variety of industries, ranging from Fortune 50 companies to start-up ventures. He also advises some of the nation’s leading CEOs, financial advisors, and entrepreneurs in connection with litigation, contract negotiations, and other employment matters. He is recognized by his peers as one of the country’s leading employment law advisors and litigators.
When matters cannot reach an early resolution, Tom has consistently and successfully tried cases to final verdict including over 25 trial victories before state and federal courts and administrative agencies throughout the country. Emphasizing an aggressive and efficient approach to litigation, he serves as lead counsel in complex and high-stakes matters, with particular emphasis on:
- Covenant-not-to-compete and trade secret litigation, including temporary restraining orders, preliminary injunctions, electronic data forensic investigations, and related emergency litigation throughout the United States
- OSHA and MSHA consultation and litigation, including extensive experience with injury and fatality investigations, safety auditing within a wide variety of highly complex and specialized industries, and consistent representation before OSHA, MSHA, and the Occupational Safety & Health Review Commission (OSHRC) throughout the nation
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) consultation and litigation, including broad experience representing broker-dealers and financial advisor
- Employment discrimination and retaliation claims
- Contract disputes
In addition to his litigation practice, Tom has significant experience providing employers and executives with strategic advice, practical solutions, and compliance assistance in several specialized areas, including:
- Safety audits and investigations, safety programs and policies, and regulatory guidance under OSHA and MSHA
- Unfair competition, confidential information and trade secrets
- Retaliation and employment discrimination
- The Americans with Disabilities Act
- The Family and Medical Leave Act
- Privacy rights
Tom is a frequent speaker, author, and trainer on employment law and litigation topics. He has contributed to numerous articles and news programs and has been interviewed by television networks ABC, CBS, and NBC; radio programs; and Business Week, the Columbus Dispatch, Business First, Columbus CEO, and the Daily Reporter, among others.