Tony Swafford joined Adams and Reese in 2012 as a Partner in the firm’s Nashville office. He serves as the Firm's Special Business Services Practice Group Leader.
Practicing law since 1995, Tony concentrates his practice in complex litigation including transportation, labor and employment law, ERISA/employee benefits, and disputes related to non-competition and trade secret issues. He represents national and regional clients in a wide range of both litigation and regulatory matters in the area of transportation and logistics, including collective and class action litigation related to a variety of state and FLSA wage hour exemptions including the Motor Carrier Act and outside sales exemptions; commercial litigation on behalf of shippers, carriers, brokers and supply chain logistics companies; and negotiating and drafting various transportation and logistics agreements. He also serves as a national trial consultant on catastrophic vehicle liability litigation.
In 1998, Tony started the Miller and Martin Nashville office’s Labor and Employment practice, and later became the chairman and of the firm’s Labor & Employment Department. He also chaired the firm’s Transportation and Logistics Practice Group. He has successfully defended union organizing attempts in 14 states and has practiced before the National Labor Relations Board and the National Mediation Board.
In his labor and employment practice, he has experience negotiating collective bargaining agreements, labor arbitrations, employer counseling, developing employment policies, mediating and settling disputes, responding to administrative charges of discrimination before state and federal agencies, employment litigation, labor and employment audits and in house training. He is general counsel on labor and employment and complex litigation matters for a number of clients in the manufacturing and service industries.
Tony’s other representative experience includes:
- Serves on the Executive Committee of the Transportation Lawyers Association.
- Serves on the Tennessee Bankers Association Human Resources Committee.
- Selected by peers for inclusion in Chambers USA – America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in Labor and Employment since 2004.
- Frequent writer and lecturer for a number of bar associations, professional associations and seminar producers.
Tony is an active member of the American Bar Association (Labor and Law Section and Developing Labor Law Committee), the Association of Transportation Law Professionals, and the Tennessee Bar Association.
He earned his J.D. from Case Western University, in 1995, and received a B.S. in accounting from the University of Tennessee, in 1990.
- “Labor and Employment Law Developments 2010, and What to Look For in 2011,” Tennessee Valley Public Power Association, February 2011
- “Legal Update for Labor & Employment,” Tennessee Society of CPA’s (TSCPA), May 2010
- “Practical Implications of the Employee Free Choice Act: Planning for the Worst (and Likely),” Co-Author, Tennessee Trucking News, Winter 2009