Recognized in:Aboriginal LawAdministrative and Public Law...
Law School:University of Ottawa
Location:1000, rue De La Gauchetière OuestBureau 2100Montréal, QC H3B 4W5
- University of Ottawa, LL.B
- University of Ottawa, BA
- Quebec, Barreau du Québec
- American College of Trial Lawyers - provincial committee - Past Chair
- Fondation du Barreau du Québec - Governor
- Supreme Court Advocacy Institute - Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for:
- Legal Malpractice Law, Montréal (2018)
- Appellate Practice, Montréal (2017)
- Administrative and Public Law, Montréal (2016)
- Appellate Practice, Montréal (2014)
- Administrative and Public Law, Montréal (2013)
- Legal Malpractice Law, Montréal (2010)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada for work in:
- Aboriginal Law
- Administrative and Public Law
- Appellate Practice
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Class Action Litigation
- Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Legal Malpractice Law
- Product Liability Law
- Benchmark Litigation Canada : Aboriginal; General Commercial; Constitutional
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Business Lawyers mentions his skills in Québec Dispute Resolution.
- Lexpert Special Edition: Canada’s Leading Litigation Lawyers
- The Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Litigation Lawyers in Canada : Corporate Commercial
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory rates Sylvain as Most Frequently Recommended in Litigation – Corporate Commercial and Litigation – Directors’ and Officers’ Liability. He is also Repeatedly Recommended in Aboriginal Law, Litigation – Product Liability
- The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the leading 500 Lawyers in Canada selected Sylvain among the experts in Corporate Commercial Litigation
- Named "Litigator ofthe Year" by Le Monde Juridique
- Represented École polytechnique de Montréal in Superior Court and in appeal, defeating a motion to authorize a class action of behalf of the School's retirees.
- Argued before the SCC an appeal involving the authorization of a class action forVivendi's (Seagram) retirees.
- Represents IBM in an action involving its employees and retirees concerning pension and post retirement benefits.
- Represented GM in the settlement of the post retirement health benefits class action against its Québec retirees.
- Represents Irving Oil in two class actions concerning an alleged cartel to increase the price of retail gasoline in 4 municipalities (Jacques) and 13 other districts (Thouin).
- Acts for Valle Foam in the settlement of a class action.
- Acted for Elpida in the contestation (in Superior Court and in appeal) and in the settlement of a class action.
- Acted for Cadbury in the settlement of a class action.
- Obtained a stay of proceedings for an important publisherin the context of parallel class actions.
- Represents NEC Electronics and Danfoss compressors in the contestation of class actions.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in relation to a class action regarding the side effects of a drug.
- Represents Irving Oil in the proposed class action following the tragedy at Lac Megantic. Acted for Gaz Metro in major disaster files.
- Represents the Royal Bank of Canada in the contestation of a motion to authorize a class action.
- Represented the chief justice of the Court of Québec pursuant to a legal recourse against her before the Superior Court regarding the Court of Québec’s judge appointment process.
- Government of Canada’s attorney before the Commission of Inquiry into the Sponsoring Program and Advertising Activities (Gomery Commission). He acts for the government of Canada in the actions related to the recovery of overpayments in relation to the Sponsorship Program.
- Regularly represents the Fonds d’assurance responsabilité professionnelle of the Barreau du Québec.
TransCanada Tower, Suite 2500
450 First Street, SW
Calgary, AB T2P 5H1
1055 West Hastings Street, Suite 1700
Vancouver, BC V6E 2E9
340 Albert Street, Suite 1900
Ottawa, ON K1R 7Y6
1000, rue De La Gauchetière Ouest
Montréal, QC H3B 4W5
620 Eighth Avenue, 36th Floor
New York, NY 10018