"As the mother of young children, I am sensitive to the impact of family law cases on children. I truly believe that we work for our clients and want the client to be involved in every step of the decision-making process in case resolution. I have volunteered with child-abuse prevention organizations for years, believing that children are our most precious resource and deserve to be treated with respect."
While resolution of your case in an amicable manner is an important goal, our extensive experience and attention to the details of your case ensure the highest quality representation in a hearing or at trial. The financial aspects of your case can be significantly more complicated than you anticipate. We aggressively will act as your advocate in valuing any business interests, analyzing cash-flow and lifestyle, obtaining the necessary discovery documents to determine the value of the marital estate, and protecting your non-marital assets.
I have served on the Illinois State Bar Association Family Law Section Council for eight years, chairing its Child Support Subcommittee for four years, as well as the HFS Child Support Advisory Committee. I have been selected by the Leading Lawyers Network in 2009-16, Super Lawyers in 2012-15, and The Best Lawyers in America 2013-16, as the top five percent of family lawyers in Illinois. I was recognized as one of the top 100 Female Consumer Lawyers in Illinois by the Leading Lawyers Network. We take great pride in providing our clients with the highest level of expertise."
Areas of Practice
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Child Support
- Custody & Visitation
- Family Law
- 100% Family law
- Kansas, 1989
- Illinois, 1997
- U.S. District Court District of Kansas, 1989
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1997
Northwestern University School of Continuing Education, Chicago, Illinois. Completed 40-hour divorce-mediation training; obtained Certificate from Northwestern University.
University of Kansas School of Law, Lawrence, Kansas. Juris Doctor, January 1989. Admitted to Kansas Bar and District of Kansas May 1989; admitted to Illinois Bar November 1997 and Northern District of Illinois December 1997.
Activities/Honoraries: Teaching Assistant, Trial Advocacy; Criminal Justice Clinic; Charter Intern, 1988-89 NCAA Women's Enhancement Internship Program; Phi Delta Phi.
Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois. Dean's List, nine quarters. B.S. in Communication Studies (Speech), June 1985.
Activities/Honoraries: Teaching Assistant, Theories of Mass Communication; School of Speech Dean's Advisory Council.
· Presenter, “So You Want to be a Child-Support Guru?”; May 5, 2008, Illinois Paralegal Association Annual Meeting
· Author, New Article IX: Child Custody Proceedings, ISBA Family Law Newsletter (Volume 49, No. 9).
· Note Writer, Kansas Criminal Procedure Review (Vol. 5); Comparison Between Proposed Kansas Death-Penalty Statute and Selected State Statutes.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
· · Susan E. Kamman & Associates selected as a top law firm by The Best Lawyers in America.
· Selected for inclusion in the 2010 Leading Lawyers Network listing of Top Women Lawyers in Illinois.
· Selected as one of the 2010 Top 100 Female Lawyers in Illinois by Leading Lawyers Network.
· Featured in Crain’s Chicago Business and U.S. News & World Report as one of the top family lawyers in Illinois.
· Member, Million Dollar Family Law Council
· Former Member, HFS Child Support Advisory Committee and Deviation Factors Workgroup.
· Former Member, DePaul University Schiller, DuCanto & Fleck Family Law Center Advisory Board.
· Member, Illinois Bar Association, Northwest Suburban Bar Association, Lake County Bar Association and Chicago Bar Association.
· Former eight-year member of the Illinois State Bar Association Family Law Section Council; member, CLE and Child-Support Subcommittees, chaired QILDRO Subcommittee; chair Child Support Subcommittee (four times), and former member of Post-High School Educational Expenses Subcommittee; former member of Legislative Subcommittee and Cyber-Stalking Subcommittee.
· Co-author of two child-support revisions to the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act.
· Illinois State Bar Association Disaster Legal Assistance Subcommittee member.
· Northwest Suburban Bar Association Holiday Party Co-Chair; former Domestic Violence Subcommittee member; former Associate Editor of News Briefs.
· Former ABA/YLD District 22 Representative (15 Kansas and Missouri YLD groups); member, Executive Council; Assistant Executive Council Coordinator; FEMA Liaison/Coordinator for Missouri and Kansas Emergency Legal Assistance for Disaster Victims; Resolutions Committee; Disaster Legal Assistance Committee; Vice-Chair Arts, Entertainment and Sports Law Committee; Vice-Chair, Award of Achievement Committee; Legislative Action Committee; Corporate Counsel Committee; Vice-Chair, 1993 Mid-Year Meeting Organizing Committee; Assembly Resolution Presenter and Management Track Speaker; Vice-Chair, Communications Committee; ABA Entertainment and Sports Industries Forum and Intellectual Property Section; Vice-Chair, ABA/YLD Communications Committee.
· Kansas Bar Association Nominating Committee and Annual Meeting Planning Committee.
· Former Member, Texas Bar Association/YLA Disaster Legal Assistance Committee.
· Former member, CBA and CBA/YLS Social Security Committees. Member, CBA Family Law Committee.
· Former Johnson County, Kansas, Bar Association Board of Directors, Secretary/Treasurer; JCBA/YLS President, President-Elect, Secretary/Treasurer, Membership Chair; Alcohol and Drug Task Force Chairman; JCBA Foundation Secretary, Trustee.
· Former Member, National Association of Collegiate Women Athletics Administrators, National Association of Athletics Compliance Coordinators, and National Association of College and University Attorneys.
· Received 1993-94 Child Abuse Prevention Coalition Outstanding Community Service Award.
· Co-Chair (1993) and committee member (1990-95), Valentine Gala (bar charity event for Child Abuse Prevention Coalition.
· Former Board Member, Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Lake County, Illinois, Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Johnson County, Kansas, and the Johnson County, Kansas, Coalition to Prevent Child Abuse.
· Sustainer, Junior League of Evanston/North Shore, Illinois. Former member, Junior League of Waco/McLennan County, Texas, Junior League of Johnson and Wyandotte Counties, former Chair of State Public Action Committee for Kansas and Missouri Junior Leagues.
· Awarded 1993-94 "Unforgettable Spirit” Award from the Junior League of Johnson and Wyandotte Counties.
· Former member, Board of Directors, Waco Humane Society and McClennan County Child Protective Services Board (1995-96).
· Awarded the Miss Fox Valley Pageants 2014 Sponsor Award and 2015 Heart of Service Award
· Former Evangelism Chair and Church Council member, Salem United Methodist Church
· Former Vice-President of Ela Area Newcomers’ and Neighbors’ Club.