Sergey has over 20 years of experience in advising on corporate law and M&A, business restructuring and reorganizing. As a head of St. Petersburg office he supervises major M&A deals, real estate transactions, and provides advice and support industrial and infrastructure projects.
Having extensive practical experience of government relations, Sergey represents clients during strategically important negotiations and solving business tasks of high priority that require the approval or involvement of the relevant governmental bodies.
Sergey is an expert of the Agency of Strategic Initiatives working group, which aims to improve the investment climate in St Petersburg. He is developing measures to improve procedures of doing business that are in force in Russia and in Russia’s North-Western Region, and to improve the investment climate in general.
Sergey’s professional experience includes providing support in more than 200 complex projects representing the largest foreign and domestic investors, among them:
- full-scale legal support to the world leader in car manufacturing during construction of the first and second stages of a car plant in St Petersburg, including negotiations with the state authorities with regard to obtaining the status of a strategic investor and entering into an investment contract;
- assisting a leading international container carrier during construction of a terminal complex in Kaliningrad Region;
- advising a large Korean conglomerate in connection with the planned construction of a sea port in the Far East;
- assisting a major European developer with acquisition, construction and further operation of a luxury hotels chain in several regions of Russia;
- full-scale legal assistance to a Scandinavian telecommunication company when it was entering the Russian market and legal support to the client during subsequent business operations.
Since 2015 Sergey is a deputy chairman of the Department of practical law at the law faculty of The National Research University Higher School of Economics.
What they say:
Sergey Spasennov is a well-known name in St Petersburg's legal market. He oversees the corporate team and leads on corporate structuring and M&A mandates. (Chambers Europe)
Sergey is a wonderful negotiator; we appreciate his invariably constructive approach to solving any issue and ability to propose options that satisfy both parties (Chambers Europe)