Rustam specialises in tax law, and in settling clients' disputes with tax authorities both in court as well as out of court.
He has extensive experience in advising clients on the calculation and payment of taxes and levies, tax benefits, the justification of expenses to be deducted when the profit tax base is determined, and the application of deductions and VAT refunds. In addition, he has vast experience in providing support to companies when they undergo tax audits.
- Successfully defending a foreign tyre producer in a dispute with the tax authority regarding the accrual of interest on the amount of tax paid in excess (more than RUB 20 million). In addition, he managed to collect the full amount of court costs on legal representation from the tax authority on behalf of the client.
- Defending an innovative industry company in a dispute with the tax authority that involved challenging refusals to refund VAT. The court obliged the tax inspectorate to pay interest because of the delay in the tax being refunded.
- Providing support to a large car manufacturer during a field tax audit and challenged the results of the audit, in particular those concerning unjustified expenses from business trips of foreign employees sent to the company under secondment agreements.
- Succeeding in challenging in court tax claims against a number of car dealers regarding the taxation of bonuses that dealers receive from car manufacturers. He proved in courts of 3 levels that the claims were unlawful.
- In cassation court, succeeding in recovering from the client's contractor overpaid VAT on the difference between prices, and having the decisions of the lower courts set aside.
What they say:
The St. Petersburg branch of a strong domestic firm with a stellar reputation for tax disputes (Chambers Europe)