Robert Traves is a partner in the Toronto office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP. He was called to the Ontario Bar in 1985, after obtaining his LLB (Cum Laude) from the University of Ottawa. Previously, Robert attended the University of Toronto in the Bachelor of Arts program.
Robert is the Manager of the Litigation Department in the Toronto office of BLG, commencing January 1, 2009. He is also a member of BLG's National Council (2007-present) and BLG Audit Committee and Chair of the Firm's Respectful Workplace Taskforce. He was formerly one of two managing partners of the Toronto office (2004-2006). Robert is an accredited mediator through C.E.D.R.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation, including major tort and property damage litigation, commercial insurance litigation, professional negligence claims, with particular emphasis on insurance defence litigation.
- Insurance coverage disputes and opinion work.
- Municipal liability expertise, including claims involving the design and maintenance of roadways, building design and inspections, liability of taxation and finance departments, sewage and drainage system claims, police liability claims.
- Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2010 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada (Insurance Law/Personal Injury Litigation)
- Martindale-Hubbell BV Peer Review Rating
- Practised exclusively in the area of civil litigation since 1985 primarily in the areas of property and casualty insurance, all automobile regimes, errors and omissions work for life and disability agents, occupiers' liability claims, and the defence of municipalities.
- Insurance defence practice includes the defence of diverse casualty and property claims as well as advancing subrogated claims on behalf of insurers.
- Significant experience in handling personal injury claims including brain injury, spinal cord injury fibromyalgia, and chronic pain claims.
- Long standing counsel to various municipalities with respect to all types of liability claims including police liability, roadway design and maintenance, buildings and inspections, finance and taxation, and infrastructure.
- Lead counsel in trials and interlocutory proceedings before the former District Court, Supreme Court General Division, the present Superior Court of Justice, Divisional Court, Ontario Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada
- Providing strategic advice to major property and casualty insurers on issues relating to property, casualty and automobile claims.
- Providing advice in relation to the drafting of various policies offered by major property and casualty insurers.
Professional and Community Activities
- Speaker on The Role of the Expert Witness in Litigation at Insight Information Conference
- Speaker at Osgoode Hall Professional Development Programs
- Speaker at municipal liability conferences and seminars for insurers on automobile legislation.
- Panel Chair on issues relating to expert evidence on behalf of the Advocate Society.
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association.
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Upper Canada.
- Member of the Metropolitan Toronto Lawyers Association
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of Ontario Bar Association - Ontario Civil Litigation Section.
- Member of the Board of Trade of Metropolitan Toronto