Bob Saunders has a general corporate and tax practice, with a particular focus on tax-exempt organizations, tax-exempt financing and state and local tax planning. His representation of exempt organizations (including charities, trade associations, social welfare organizations and social clubs) range from formation and operation to merger or dissolution. He serves as general counsel for exempt organizations and has advised them on tax and governance issues including intermediate sanctions, unrelated business income, and the use of for-profit subsidiaries and single member limited liability companies. Bob also represents exempt organizations in federal and state tax audits.
With respect to tax exempt financing, Bob has served as bond counsel to numerous financings by the North Carolina Agricultural Finance Authority, as well as underwriter's counsel, issuer's counsel, borrower's counsel and special tax counsel for other clients in bond financings. He represents closely held businesses (including medical and other professional practices), serving as their general counsel and providing advice to business owners regarding estate planning, business succession and state and local tax compliance, such as the sales and use tax. He frequently speaks on these issues, including annual participation in the Practice Management Conference for the North Carolina Academy of Family Physicians.
Presentations & Publications
- Panelist, "Associated Entities: Risk Management and the Role of Legal Counsel," 2019 Fall University of North Carolina System Attorneys Meeting, Charlotte, NC, November 5, 2019
- Presenter, "The ABCs of Social Enterprises and Impact Investing," NCACPA Not-for-Profit Accounting Conference, Greensboro, NC, May 22, 2018
- Moderator, "What's New in the World of Charitable Giving," Wake County and Durham/Chapel Hill Estate Planning Councils meeting, Raleigh, NC, May 15, 2018
- Presenter, "The ABC's of Social Enterprises & Impact Investing," UNC School of Law Festival of Legal Learning, February 2018
- Co-author of Business Law Section Newsletter Article, North Carolina Benefit Corporation Act: A Summary of Senate Bill 99 (April 23, 2013)
- "What is the Fourth Sector?," Presentation to Business Law Institute, North Carolina Bar Association, February 2012
- "Legal Issues Facing Fourth Sector Entities," Presentation to North Carolina Fourth Sector Cluster Initiative, March 2011
- Co-author of North Carolina Chapter, Sales & Use Tax Deskbook (2011-2012)
- Co-author of the North Carolina Chapter, ABA Property Tax Handbook, (2003-2009)
- Co-author of the North Carolina Chapter, ABA Sales and Use Tax Handbook (2003-2004)
- Served as staff attorney to the Associate Chief Counsel (Litigation) of the Internal Revenue Service
- Brooks Pierce Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016
- Bob Saunders Elected Chair of Chapel-Hill Carrbobo Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors