- Louisiana, U.S. Federal Courts
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for:
- Natural Resources Law, Lafayette (2020)
- Natural Resources Law, Baton Rouge (2014)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Energy Law
- Natural Resources Law
- Oil and Gas Law
Areas of Expertise:
- Oil and Gas
Tell us a little bit about your practice and what makes it unique.
- My primary practice is in providing title information in Louisiana, a state whose legal system is based on the Code Napoleon. My clients are willing to commit millions of dollars to drill oil and gas wells, but they don’t want to spend that money without assurance that they have leased the right landowners.
What common questions are you asked by clients, and what are your answers?
- How far back do we need to check title. I tell them that many of our titles began with Spanish and French patents, so skimping on examination is gambling even more.
Describe one of your most interesting or memorable cases in the past year.
- I also do energy law litigation. I defended a client against claims of RICO fraud, including the principal owner of the defendant company. I was successful in having the court dismiss the RICO claims and to release the owner from all claims. Those dismissals resulted in a settlement of the remaining claims with no further payments.
What is most challenging about your area(s) of expertise?
- To do title examination in Louisiana, you need to know what the law was in 1840, as well as the current law.
Were there any particular inspirations (people or events) that spurred your interest in your practice area(s)?
- I went to Tulane expecting to be an admiralty lawyer, after graduating from LSU with a degree in transportation economics. I took an elective course in Louisiana mineral law with John McCollam. After 2 sessions I changed my scope to become a mineral lawyer.
What other interests do you have?
- Golf, being in the outdoors.
Lawyer Practice Areas
445 North Boulevard, Suite 200
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
101 La Rue France, Suite 200
Lafayette, LA 70508