Recognized in:Tax Law
Law School:New York University School of Law
Location:100 King Street West1 First Canadian PlaceSuite 6200, P.O. Box 50Toronto, ON M5X 1B8
- New York University School of Law, LL.M (US Tax), graduated 1984
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B, graduated 1977
- University of Ottawa, BSc.Math, graduated 1973
- Ontario, The Law Society of Upper Canada
- American Bar Association - Member
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- Canadian Tax Foundation - Member
- International Fiscal Association - Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for:
- Tax Law, Toronto (2009)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada for work in:
- Tax Law
- Martindale-Hubbell - AV rated Preeminent (5.0 out of 5)
- Euromoney Guide to the World’s Leading Transfer Pricing Advisers
- Who’s Who Legal Canada: Corporate Tax and Listed as one of the 5 most highly regarded corporate tax lawyers in North America
- Expert Guides: The Best of the Best - Tax ; Transfer Pricing Advisors
- Practical Law Company Recognition
- Tax Directors Handbook: One of Top 250 Individuals Tax Advisers in the World
- International Tax Review: World Tax
- The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada : Corporate Tax
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory : Corporate Tax (Most Frequently Recommended)
- Lexpert Special Edition: Canada’s Leading Corporate Lawyers
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Business Lawyers : Tax (Band 1)
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for outstanding contributions to the development of tax law in Canada (from The Canadian Tax Foundation)
Tell us a little bit about your practice and what makes it unique.
- Have worked on the largest transfer pricing cases in Cda, as well as a number of disputes involving transfer pricing, treaty and foreign affiliate issues.
Describe one of your most interesting or memorable cases in the past year.
- Worked on the Cameco transfer pricing case
What is most challenging about your area(s) of expertise?
- Must have a good understanding of economic principles as we work a lot with economists. Knowing the tax law is not enough.
Were there any particular inspirations (people or events) that spurred your interest in your practice area(s)?
- Worked at Dept of Finance as a young lawyer in the treaty area. Just happened to be in the course of negotiating the Cda US tax treaty. Our leader, Alan Short, was briliiant and it made me eager to learn more about tax law generally.
What other interests do you have?
- Skiing, tennis, hiking, water sports, driving my JEEP on back roads.
TransCanada Tower, Suite 2500
450 First Street, SW
Calgary, AB T2P 5H1
1055 West Hastings Street, Suite 1700
Vancouver, BC V6E 2E9
340 Albert Street, Suite 1900
Ottawa, ON K1R 7Y6
1000, rue De La Gauchetière Ouest
Montréal, QC H3B 4W5
620 Eighth Avenue, 36th Floor
New York, NY 10018