Listed in Best Lawyers since 2008
Richard J. Hafets is the Managing Shareholder of the Baltimore office of Jackson Lewis P.C.
Mr. Hafets practices in all areas of labor and employment law, including union avoidance, traditional labor-management relations, employment litigation, EEO and affirmative action, OSHA, and general personnel. He is primary labor counsel to many Fortune 500 companies, health care institutions, charities, and civic organizations.
Prior to working for Jackson Lewis, Mr. Hafets headed the Labor and Employment practice group in the Baltimore office for a leading global general interest law firm. Earlier on, he worked with the National Labor Relations Board.
Mr. Hafets is listed as one of America's leading Labor and Employment lawyers in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, where he is ranked in the top tier of attorneys and described as "the dean of Maryland employment law." He has repeatedly been listed in The Best Lawyers in America for labor and employment law and named a Maryland Super Lawyer. Mr. Hafets is also named as a leader for management-side labor attorneys in the state of Maryland in Who's Who Legal: USA - Management Labor & Employment, published in cooperation with the International Bar Association. In addition, Mr. Hafets is listed in Who's Who in American Law. The Baltimore Sun has named him to its list of Baltimore's Best Lawyers.
Among his published works, Mr. Hafets has authored or coauthored many articles, including Is Your Current E-Mail Policy a Ticking Time Bomb Under the NLRA?, HR Advisor (Thomson/West Publishing), (May/June 2005); and An Alternative to Alternative Dispute Resolution, Employee Relations Law Journal, Vol. 29, No. 3, (Winter 2003). He is Chapter Editor for The Developing Labor Law, and How Arbitration Works Cumulative Supplements, BNA.
Mr. Hafets is admitted to practice law in the District of Columbia as well as in Maryland.
Mr. Hafets earned his B.S. from the American University in Washington, D.C. summa cum laude in 1973. He earned his J.D. magna cum laude in 1976 from the American University in Washington, D.C.
Selected Published Cases
- McCann v. New World Pasta Co., 2012 U.S. Dist Lexis 44838 ( E.D. Mo. March 30, 2012) (granting summary judgment in race, age, gender, disability and retaliation case).
- Wyatt v. Maryland Institute College of Art, 2012 U.S. Dist Lexis 30465 ( D. Md. March 7, 2012) (granting summary judgment in ADA case).
- Lapchak v. MICA, Circuit Court of Maryland for Baltimore City, Case No. 24-C-10-003549 (3/3/11) (granting summary judgment in ADA case).
- Talib v. McCormick & Company, Circuit Court of Maryland for Baltimore City, Case No. 24-C-09-005559 (5/21/10) (granting summary judgment in wrongful discharge case; affirmed on appeal; certiorari denied).
- Garrison v. McCormick & Company, 2010 U.S. Dist Lexis 64920 ( D. Md. June 30, 2010) ( summary judgment granted in ADA case; appeal dismissed).
- O’Shea v. Teamsters Local 639 and UPS, 210 Fed. Appx. 317 ( 4th Cir. 2006 ) ( aff’g summary judgment in Section 301 suit).
- Olarinde v. Holy Cross Hospital, 57 Fed. Appx 595 (4th Cir. 2003) (aff’g summary judgment in race discrimination case).
- Hamilton v. Village of Cross Keys, Inc., 36 Fed. Appx. 515 (4th Cir. 2002 ) (aff’g summary judgment in sex discrimination/wrongful discharge case).
- Davis v. Exxon Co., 2000 U.S. App. Lexis 371 ( 4th Cir. 2000) (aff’g summary judgment in wrongful discharge/breach of contract case )
- Guo v. Ryland Group, Inc, 1997 U.S. App. Lexis 22721 (4th Cir. 1997 ) (aff’g summary judgment in race/national origin case ).
- Jones v. American Red Cross, 1997 U.S. App. Lexis 16273 ( 4th Cir. 1997 ) (aff’g summary judgment in race case ).
- Banks v. McCormick & Co., 1991 U.S. App. Lexis 11002 ( 4th Cir. 1991 ) (aff’g summary judgment in race case ).
- Sharma v. Lockheed Engineering & Management Services Co., 862 F. 2d 314 (4th Cir. 1988 ) ( aff’g summary judgment in race/national origin case ).'
- Anderson v. Dunbar Armored, Inc., 2009 U.S. Dist. Lexis 73041 ( ND Ga. 2009 ) ( granting summary judgment in race/sex case ).
- New World Pasta Co. v. Teamsters Local 688, 2007 U.S. Dist. Lexis 80314 ( ED Mo. 2007 ) ( vacating arbitration award ).
- Berkley v. New World Pasta Co., 2006 U.S. Dist. Lexis 50695 ( ED Mo. 2006 ) ( granting summary judgment in ADA case ).
- Hammad v. Tate Access Floors, 31 F. Supp 2d 524 (D. Md. 1999 ) ( dismissing multi-pronged discrimination case ).
- Seaman v. Downtown Partnership of Baltimore, 991 F. Supp 751 ( D. Md. 1998 ) ( striking down FMLA regulation ).
- Diamond v. T. Rowe Price Associates, 852 F. Supp. 372 (D. Md. 1994 ) ( granting summary judgment in sex/ Equal Pay Act case ).
- Douglas v. PHH Fleetamerica Corp., 832 F. Supp. 1002 ( D. Md. 1993) ( granting summary judgment in sex/age discrimination case ).
Other Court Admissions
- United States District Court for Maryland
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- Unites states Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States.