Richard E. Hall received his JD from Harvard Law School in 1969 and BA from the University of Idaho in 1966. He is admitted to practice law in Idaho and Washington. Mr. Hall has tried cases throughout Idaho. He has spent his entire career defending civil jury and court trials. Mr. Hall began his legal career in Boise at Moffatt, Thomas Barrett and Blanton, where he became a partner. He then was a founding partner and President of Hall, Farley, Oberrecht & Blanton where he practiced from 1988 until 2012. He is now one of the founding attorneys at Duke Scanlan Hall in Boise. Mr. Hall has tried over 50 trials. His clients have successfully prevailed in 27 of his last 29 verdicts and court trials. These cases have included defense of four brain damaged baby cases, four wrongful death cases and other very serious injury cases. Mr. Hall is best known for his medical malpractice experience, but he has also handled insurance coverage and alleged bad faith cases, civil rights matters, commercial cases, legal and architectural malpractice, nursing home, automobile, drug product and medical device liability cases. He is a past president of Idaho Association of Defense Counsel and the Idaho Chapter of ABOTA. He is a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers. He is currently President of the Board of Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (“FDCC”) Foundation. He also has had an extensive appellate practice, including a number of Idaho Supreme Court Opinions: Swallow v. Blahd, 138 Idaho 589, 67 P.3d 68 (2003); Dulaney v. Saint Alphonsus, et al., 137 Idaho 160, 45 P.3d 816 (2002); Rudd v. Merritt, 138 Idaho 526, 66 P.3d 230 (2003); Lovey v. Regence BlueShield of Idaho, 139 Idaho 37, 72 P.3d 877 (2003); and, Doe v. Boy Scouts of America, 148 Idaho 427, 224 P.3d 494 (2009) among others. He is the author a number of articles including, “Using Improvements In Medical Technology to Prove the Timing of Newborn Brain Injury,” Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel Quarterly, (1991) and was a lecturer on “Cross Examination of Expert Witnesses” in London, England (1996).
- Idaho, Idaho State Bar
- Washington, Washington State Bar Association
- Idaho Association of Defense Counsel - Past President
- American Board of Trial Advocates - Past State President
- American College of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel - Past Director
- United Heritage Financial Group - Chairman of the Board
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for:
- Insurance Law, Boise (2018)
- Insurance Law, Boise (2014)
- Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants, Boise (2013)
- Insurance Law, Boise (2011)
- Personal Injury Litigation, Idaho (2010)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Law
- Litigation - Environmental
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
- Fellow, International Academy of trial Lawyers
- American Lawyer Media and Martindale Hubbell- "Top Rated Lawyer in Healthcare"
- Best Lawyers - Boise - Medical Malpractice "Lawyer of the Year"
- Best Lawyers - Boise - Insurance "Lawyer of the Year"
- Best Lawyers - Boise - Personal Injury Defense "Lawyer of the Year"
- Fellow American College of Trial Lawyers
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Chambers USA described as "the best medical malpractice attorney in Idaho -- if not beyond."
- Super Lawyers, ranked in Top 75 Mountain States Lawyers
Areas of Expertise:
- Medical Malpractice