Richard A. Devine has more than 50 years of experience in both criminal and civil litigation, including white-collar and commercial litigation, securities, eminent domain and zoning.
Dick is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and has a wide range of court experience in the federal system. He has also argued major cases before the U.S Supreme Court, the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, the Illinois Supreme Court and the Illinois Appellate Court. Among his many significant results, Dick represented American Stores in defending a multimillion-dollar class action based on the salmonella milk outbreak caused by tainted Jewel milk, which resulted in a not guilty verdict.
In 1996, after 25 years in private practice in Chicago, Dick was elected Cook County State’s Attorney, where, as chief prosecutor, he ran an office of more than 900 attorneys, the second largest in the country. During his tenure as State’s Attorney, Dick was recognized for many notable accomplishments. He established the office’s acclaimed Domestic Violence Unit, was instrumental in creating a more effective Juvenile Justice Bureau and Narcotics Unit, and made significant advances in the recruitment and retention of women and minority prosecutors. Dick was instrumental in reforming the system for prosecuting death penalty cases and published an article on the topic.
He held that post for 12 years before deciding to return to private practice in 2008.
Prior to being elected state’s attorney, Dick was president of the Board of Commissioners of the Chicago Park District (1990-1993), served as a first assistant state’s attorney to then-State’s Attorney Richard. M. Daley (1980-1983) and worked as an aide to Mayor Richard J. Daley (1969-1972).
Dick also has served as co-chair of the committee appointed
by Senator Richard Durbin to review applicants for the position of federal
district court judge for the Northern District of Illinois.
Admitted to Practice:
- Ohio (1968)
- Illinois (1969)
- United States Supreme Court (1983)
- United States Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Cozen O'Connor (2015 – Present)
- Mediator/Arbitrator – Resolute Systems LLC – Chicago, Illinois (2008 – Present)
- Adjunct Professor – Loyola University School of Law (2008 – 2015)
- Meckler Bulger Tilson Marick & Pearson (2008 – 2015)
- Cook County State’s Attorney – Chicago, Illinois (1996 – 2008)
- Partner – Shefsky Froehlich & Devine – Chicago, Illinois (1995 – 1996)
- Partner – Phelan, Pope & John - Chicago (1985 – 1995)
- Foran Wiss & Schultz – Chicago, Illinois (1974 – 1980, 1983 – 1985)
- Pope Ballard Shepard & Fowler – Chicago (1972 – 1974)
- Squire Sanders & Dempsey – Cleveland, Ohio (1968 – 1969)