Phil, who serves as the global co-leader of Dentons' Transportation and Infrastructure practice, is recognized as one of the world's leading authorities on the construction and engineering sector and particularly in construction disputes. His skill was recognized most recently in 2016 when he was designated "Lawyer of the Year in Construction Litigation" by Best Lawyers. He has been listed in Best Lawyers each year since
Phil has tried, mediated and settled cases on behalf of clients around the globe through hundreds of days of hearings in many
Phil also maintains a broad international disputes practice outside of the construction and engineering sector. He has handled joint venture, licensing and financing disputes in the same forums in which he is known for his construction work.
- New Jersey Transit Corporation: Represented in the trial of a light rail project dispute encompassing more than US$300 million in claims for disputed extra work items and delay claims.
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd.: Represented in the litigation and arbitration of US$600 million in delay and defect claims in bankruptcy court and various international arbitrations arising from five related power plants in the UK, the Philippines, and the US.
- Equipment supplier: Represented, through hearings and award, in an ICC arbitration involving US$30 million in alleged defects in a power plant in the Caribbean.
- Equipment supplier: Represented in an International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICRD) arbitration involving US$20 million in schedule delays and alleged defects in a combined cycle power plant in Texas.
- Wellington Power Corporation: Represented in the trial of an American Arbitration Association (AAA) arbitration involving multimillion-dollar delay claims on a federal prison in Ohio, through
- Boccard: Represented in the litigation of defect and delay claims arising from a methane gas collection project in Equatorial Guinea.
- Longview Power: Represented in the litigation of US$500 million in delay and defect claims arising from a super-critical, coal-fired power plant in West Virginia.
- International concessionaire/power developer: Represented in a KLRCA case involving termination of an electrical generation and transmission concession valued at US$1 billion.
- Large Middle Eastern engineering firm: Represented in an LCIA matter involving termination of a Middle Eastern joint venture, with US$100 million in dispute.
- Shire Pharmaceuticals: Represented in the trial of an ICDR matter arising from the breach of an agreement for joint development of a treatment for cocaine addiction. Secured a US$15 million award.