Neil Kathol is a senior intellectual property lawyer, registered in Canada and the US, who helps clients with complex patent, trademark and copyright issues. One practice focus of Neil's is patent work for the oil and gas industry, particularly in its services sector. Clients rely on Neil for litigation and advice in the areas of patent infringement, breach of confidence and misuse of trade-secrets, trademark infringement, design and copyright infringement and related claims and disputes.
In addition, his practice includes:
- Resolving invention ownership issues, licensor or "ee" rights and rights of joint venturers
- Reviewing patents and advising on freedom-to-operate questions and advice to sellers/buyers
- Managing international, North American and Canadian patent (with our patent team) and trademark portfolios
- Performing patent, trade-mark, copyright and industrial design searches and freedom to operate due diligence
- Litigating claims involving patents, copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets and designs along with other contractual and fiduciary issues
Neil is a registered Trade-mark Agent in Canada and the United States. In addition to his work with energy-related IP, Neil has helped with the technology issues arising in many kinds of commercial transactions. He has led IP teams who analyze new technology being considered for purchase or license, acted on sales and acquisitions of technology assets, drafted technology transfer documentation and advised on technology-based joint ventures and design and development agreements.
Neil has represented clients in trials and judicial mediations before both the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta and in the Federal Court, often involving energy services, high-tech equipment and tools as well as many industrial, household, design and fashion products. He has argued before the Alberta Court of Appeal, at many registries across Canada and before the Federal Court of Appeal. Neil has also appeared before the Trademarks Opposition Board and participated in several intellectual property law mediations and arbitrations, both as counsel for a party and as a neutral mediator. He is a member of the Federal Court of Appeal and Federal Court Rules Committee.
Neil is a member of the Field Law Executive Committee.