Mr. Clemens has practised as counsel in the field of civil litigation and administrative law since being called to the Bar in British Columbia in 1976. His practice has included appearances in all of the Superior Courts of British Columbia and the Supreme Court of Canada and before arbitration panels involving shareholders and partnership disputes, professional negligence claims, real estate, employment, securities, banking, insurance and maritime litigation.
Mr. Clemens is experienced in administrative hearings including proceedings before the Securities Commission and Disciplinary and Credential Committees of self-governing professional associations both as counsel and as legal advisor to the decision maker. Mr. Clemens is also active in alternate dispute resolution accepting appointments as arbitrator or mediator in commercial disputes.
Education and Distinctions
- University of Toronto, B.A. (Political Economy), 1972
- Queen's University, LL.B., 1975
- Called to British Columbia Bar, 1976
- Appointed Queen's Counsel, 1993
- Member American Academy of Attorney-Mediators, 1995 to present
- Listed Arbitrator, Canada Transportation Agency pursuant to Section 56 of the Canada Transportation Act, 1987 to present
- Co-author and Presenter "Litigation Support" with Clayton Schultz, FCA, 1986 - Annual Meeting of Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Author - "The Lawyer - Expert Relationship From Initial Consultation Through Post Trial" paper presented to the Continuing Education Association of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of British Columbia, 1991
- Canadian Correspondent for the International Insurance Law Review, Sweet & Maxwell London, 1993 to 1999
- Editorial Board, Credit and Banking Litigation, Federated Press, Montreal, 1994 to 1999
- Co-author of materials for International Commercial Arbitration Training Course presented by the American Arbitration Association and the North American Branch of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Vancouver, B.C., May 1996
- Author - The Advocate - "Jurisdiction to Grant Relief From Forfeiture in Commercial Arbitration", September, 1999
- Contributor - "The British Columbia Trial Handbook" (CLE 2003)