Mike Walker is a real estate lawyer with extensive experience in land use both inside and outside the legal profession. He helps clients conceive and implement innovative solutions to their challenges in land use, development, and property management. He is comfortable in the spaces where private sector, public sector, not-for-profit, and First Nations aspirations meet in the modern economy.
Mike leads Miller Thomson’s national real estate practice, and is a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee.
Mike crafts creative legal solutions in various practice areas:
- Real estate acquisitions and commercial transactions: conducting lease, title, and brownfield due diligence; structuring equity and debt financing; negotiating purchase and sale transactions; and advising on risk management.
- Land development: advising on land use and development regulation, construction, subdivision, and marketing in relation to commercial, residential, and mixed-use projects on private, public, and First Nations land.
- Leasing: negotiating and advising on leases for commercial, industrial, residential, and infrastructure projects in both market and non-market environments.
- Condominium: assisting developers, condominium corporations and property managers throughout the life cycle of condominium projects, with a particular focus on mixed-use properties and condominium hotels.
- Project finance and social enterprise: structuring joint ventures and partnerships, with a particular emphasis on innovative approaches that combine market-driven and non-market objectives.
Before joining the legal profession, Mike worked in a number of roles dealing primarily with urban policy and non-market housing development. He is a former member of the BC Housing Board of Commissioners and a former journalist.