With more than 25 years’ experience litigating the most complex commercial matters, Mike Shuster is widely recognized as one of New York’s leading trial lawyers. Mike represents corporate, financial, and individual clients in complex commercial disputes involving a wide range of legal and business issues.
In addition to his experience trying cases in federal and state courts, Mike has tried arbitrations under the rules of the ICC, AAA, and other arbitral bodies. Mike has for several years been ranked inChambers USA, which has lauded him as “a wonderfully talented litigator” and one of the “Leading Individuals” in New York in General Commercial Litigation. Mike has also been recognized as a top litigator by Benchmark Litigation for the past four years and New York Super Lawyers since 2006.
Before co-founding Holwell Shuster & Goldberg, Mike was a litigation partner at Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman and at White & Case, where he served as Global Head of Commercial Litigation.
- Representing a bank trustee as plaintiff in various RMBS putback matters.
- Represented FHFA as plaintiff on various fraud and contractual RMBS claims.
- Representing Visa USA in various matters.
- Representing individual plaintiffs in a lawsuit against the Hungarian government seeking the return of artworks exceeding $100 million in value that were looted during World War II.
- Represented several hedge funds as plaintiffs in breach of fiduciary duty litigation against BNY as notes trustee.
- Represented Comcast in precedential antitrust litigation; in Delaware breach of fiduciary duty litigation; and in a Section 16 short-swing profits case.
- Represented various defendants in securities class action litigation, including Amerada Hess, Royal Bank of Canada (Enron), UBS Warburg (Orange County), Comcast, and others.
- Represented Mega Brands in connection with takeover litigation and products liability cases.
- Obtained $140 million award for Comcast in AAA arbitration against its customer care/billing vendor.
- Represented General Reinsurance in antitrust litigation brought by EchoStar alleging improper denial of insurance coverage and refusal to issue new coverage.
- Represented Raytheon Corporation as lead counsel in securing DOJ and Pentagon approval for multi-billion dollar defense industry acquisitions.
- Represented Christie’s Chairman in the Christie’s/Sotheby’s Auction Houses antitrust litigation.
- Represented European bank in litigation involving the largest-ever knockout currency options.
- Represented Banco Santander in an ICC arbitration arising out of a failed derivatives joint venture with an AIG.
- Represented Saudi Arabian Oil Company subsidiary in a national price fixing class action against it, Shell, and Texaco.
- Represented Philippines-based construction conglomerate Landoil in political risk insurance litigation in the U.S., and in a related arbitration in the LCIA and in a U.S. ADR proceeding.
- McGill University Faculty of Law (LL.B., B.C.L., 1986; Senior Editorial Board, McGill Law Journal)
- York University (B.A., 1982)