Megan Costa DeVault
Recognized in:Commercial LitigationLitigation - Banking and Finance
Law School:Stetson University College of Law
Location:420 South Orange Avenue, Suite 1200Orlando, FL 32801
- Stetson University, MBA, graduated 2001
- Stetson University College of Law, JD, cum laude, graduated 2001
- University of Florida , BA, with honors, graduated 1998
- Florida, The Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, Historical Society - Member
- Central Florida Inns of Court - Barrister Member, 2009-2010
- Habitat for Humanity, Orlando - Board Member
- Leadership Orlando, Class 79 - Graduate
- Orange County Bar Association - Member
- Orlando Health Foundation, Women's Advisory Council - Member, 2010-Present
- Orlando Science Center, Community Council - Member, 2008-Present
- Orlando Sports Foundation - Member
- The Florida Bar, Trial Lawyers Section - Member
- United Negro College Fund - Advisory Board, Member, 2009-Present; Scholarship Committee, Chair, 2010-Present
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Litigation - Banking and Finance
- Orlando Business Journal 2007, "Women Who Mean Business," Nominee
- Orlando Business Journal 2009, Recognized as the "40 Under 40," Outstanding Female of the Year
- Orlando Business Journal 2010, "Women Who Mean Business," Up and Comer, Finalist
- Florida Trend's Legal Elite 2011, Listed as an "Up and Comer" for Commercial Litigation
- United Negro College Fund, Champion of Education Award, 2012
- Super Lawyers Magazine 2010-2012, Listed in Florida as a "Rising Star" for Business Litigation and General Litigation
- Orlando Business Journal 2013, Recognized as one of the "Women to Watch" in Orlando
- Super Lawyers Magazine 2013-2016, Listed in Florida for Business Litigation and General Litigation
- Akerman's Guide to Doing Business in Florida: A Legal Guide for Out-of-State and Foreign Businesses, Author, "The Foreclosure Process," 2011, 2013, and 2016
- Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) Board of Directors Presentation, Co-Presenter, "Creating, Delivering, and Reporting Value: A Roadmap for In-House Counsel," August 2014
- Lorman Education Services, Lecturer, Mortgage and Receivership in Florida, July 2010
Real Estate Litigation
- Representation of residential home builder sued by a group of disgruntled purchasers seeking to enforce various contracts containing terms detrimental to builder.
- Representation of national homebuilder in prosecution of claims against engineer for violations of the Florida Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act and fraud.
- Representation of national homebuilders in arbitrations involving contractual disputes with subcontractors and involving claims brought by purchasers for damages due to alleged faulty construction.
- Representation of builders, developers and investors in connection with due diligence activities related to the purchase of distressed assets or loan documents directly from financial institutions. Representation includes counseling clients during the acquisition and assignment of defaulted loan documents, together with the subsequent prosecution of any foreclosure action needed to obtain clear title to the real property collateral.
- Representation of landlords in issues involving eviction, holdover tenancy, restrictive lease covenants, property maintenance and repair, abandonment of property, removal of fixtures and personalty, and CAM charges.
- Representation of national builders and developers in complex litigation involving disputes with Homeowners and Condo Associations relating to turnover of association control to owners and underlying maintenance and construction defects alleged to have occurred prior to turnover.
- Representation of developer in defense of claims against purchasers seeking to rescind their purchase contracts. Sullivan v. Fl Land Partners, LLC, Case No. 5d12-2839 (Fla. 5th DCA, Oct. 1, 2013)
- Representation of client in a matter involving the reversal of trial court order due to violation of procedural due process. Winthrop v. Castellano, Case No. 5D12-4759 (Fla. 5th DCA, April 17, 2013)
- Representation of client in emergency matter involving the disqualification of opposing law firm which obtained client's confidential, attorney-client communications from opposing party. Castellano v. Winthrop, 2010 WL 322177 (Fla. 5th DCA)
Financial Institution and Foreclosure Litigation
- Representation of financial institution in dispute over alleged fraudulent alteration of loan documents and improper defeasance of securitized loan.
- Representation of financial institutions in state-wide, large-scale, complex commercial loan workouts, foreclosures, and lender liability litigation.
- Coordination of litigation throughout Florida for numerous financial institution clients involving assets and liabilities exceeding $100 million, collectively.
- Representation of special servicers in multi-million dollar CMBS foreclosures.
Commercial and Fiduciary Litigation
- Representation of large consortium of international clients to protect, maintain, and preserve investment assets in the United States valued at more than $12 million.
- Representation of limited liability company and manager member in multi-million dollar dispute involving claims of misappropriation, breach of fiduciary duty and other business torts.
- Representation of majority member of limited liability company in judicial dissolution action involving misappropriation of company assets, civil theft and conversion.
- Representation of corporate fiduciaries involving disputes concerning mismanagement of trust assets.
601 West Fifth Street, Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90071
1900 Sixteenth Street, Suite 1700
Denver, CO 80202
District of Columbia
District of Columbia
750 Ninth Street, NW, Suite 750
Washington, DC 20001
1875 NW Corporate Boulevard, Suite 275
Boca Raton, FL 33431
350 East Las Olas Boulevard, Suite 1600
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
50 North Laura Street, Suite 3100
Jacksonville, FL 32202
9128 Strada Place, Suite 10205
Naples, FL 34108
420 South Orange Avenue, Suite 1200
Orlando, FL 32801
251 Royal Palm Way, Suite 215
Palm Beach, FL 33480
106 East College Avenue, 12th Floor
Tallahassee, FL 32301
401 East Jackson Street, Suite 1700
Tampa, FL 33602
West Tower, Suite 1100
777 South Flagler Drive
West Palm Beach, FL 33401
71 South Wacker Drive, 46th Floor
Chicago, IL 60606
Pan-American Life Center, Suite 2200
601 Poydras Street
New Orleans, LA 70130
1160 Town Center Drive, Suite 330
Las Vegas, NV 89144
666 Fifth Avenue, 20th Floor
New York, NY 10103
700 Lavaca Street, Suite 1400
Austin, TX 78701
2001 Ross Avenue, Suite 3600
Dallas, TX 75201
1300 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite 2500
Houston, TX 77056
Weston Centre, Suite 2750
112 East Pecan Street
San Antonio, TX 78205
170 South Main Street, Suite 950
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
One South Pinckney Street, Suite 700
Madison, WI 53703