For over twenty years, Matt Utecht has devoted his practice to representing healthcare providers. As the industry’s delivery models, payment systems and regulatory framework have evolved, so has Mr. Utecht’s professional focus. Currently, he concentrates his practice on innovative provider integration strategies and advises on regulatory requirements and business considerations unique to healthcare transactions.
In recent matters, Mr. Utecht has served as lead counsel in:
- Drafting agreements necessary to fully integrate assets and operations of small community hospitals with South Carolina’s largest health system.
- Drafting exclusive agreements for hospital-based services, including emergency services, radiology and anesthesiology.
- Acquisitions of physician practices, including internal medicine, bariatric surgery, oncology and radiology.
- Collaborative care agreements to reduce hospital readmission rates.
- Joint ventures between hospital systems for various service lines, including radiation oncology and neurosciences.
Additionally, Mr. Utecht has represented providers in reimbursement disputes, including matters before the Medicare Provider Reimbursement Review Board, and Certificate of Need contested cases.
Recognizing that his experience as both a litigator and as a healthcare transactional attorney positions him to help clients and parties avoid and settle conflict, Mr. Utecht offers his services in healthcare mediation and conflict management. He has completed the American Health Lawyers’ Association Advanced Mediation Training and is listed on the AHLA roster of dispute resolvers.
Mr. Utecht was named a Greenville Hospital System Clinical Instructor in the Department of Internal Medicine by the dean of the University of South Carolina, School of Medicine.
In 2015, Mr. Utecht was named to the "Upstate Legal Elite - Healthcare" by the Greenville Business Magazine. He was named the Best Lawyers® 2013 Health Care Law "Lawyer of the Year" and the Best Lawyers® 2012 Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year" in Greenville.