Martha G. Brown
Recognized in:Commercial LitigationPersonal Injury Litigation - Defendants...
Law School:University of Wisconsin–Madison
Location:500 Fourth Street, NW, Suite 1000Albuquerque, NM 87102
As the firm’s senior female litigator, Martha Brown represents business clients in diverse areas of civil litigation in federal and state courts throughout New Mexico, at both trial and appellate levels. Martha brings more than thirty years’ experience to her active tort, product and professional liability defense practice. She regularly represents professionals and professional organizations, healthcare providers, product manufacturers, retail service providers, and other commercial entities in the defense of diverse claims ranging from product, professional or other liability, wrongful death, unfair trade practices, and all other tort and contract issues. Martha provides advice and counsel to professional services entities and long term care providers on various issues, and represents them in the defense of malpractice and other liability claims. Her representation of commercial and non-profit entities has included defense of claims including lender liability, contract and other commercial disputes. She also has defended a variety of individual and public entity defendants on civil rights claims.Martha’s representation of her clients is notable for her focus on innovative and strategic approaches designed to achieve the most effective outcome consistent with the client’s objectives, whether through litigation, positioning a matter for successful dispositive relief, or where appropriate, early dispute resolution.Martha has an AV® Preeminent rating from Martindale Hubbell based on peer review. She is recognized by Best Lawyers in America® in Commercial Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, and Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, named among those in Southwest Super Lawyers® and selected Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation. In addition, Martha is a Fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America and has twice received the Outstanding Contribution Award from the State Bar of New Mexico.Martha has previously served on the firm’s Executive Committee, headed the Litigation Department, and chaired both the Tort, Product Liability, Class Action practice group and the Associates Committee.
- University of Wisconsin–Madison , J.D., graduated 1983
- Pomona College, BA, graduated 1979
- New Mexico, State Bar of New Mexico
- New Mexico, U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico
- New Mexico, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Wisconsin, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Albuquerque Bar Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Sections of Litigation and Tort & Insurance Practices
- Defense Research Institute - Member
- State Bar of New Mexico - Co-Chair Bench and Bar Relations Committee
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- State Bar of New Mexico, twice recognized with State Bar's Outstanding Contribution Award
- Best Lawyers in America® in Commercial Litigation and Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Benchmark Litigation, The Definitive Guide to America's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, recognized as a Local Litigation Star, 2014-present
- Martindale-Hubbell rated AV® Preeminent, based on a peer review
- Southwest Super Lawyers® (derived from a lawyer survey)
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow, 2014-present
- Health Care
- Nursing Homes
500 Fourth Street, NW, Suite 1000
Albuquerque, NM 87102
2 Office Locations
in 1 Country
Lawyer Case History
Represented long-term care provider in class action tried in the New Mexico State court, alleging violation of the New Mexico Continuing Care Act. The Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the trial court decision and granted summary judgment based on expert causation issue.
Provides advice and counsel concerning professional liability to architects, engineers, nursing homes and other long-term care providers, hospitality and recreational services providers, aircraft manufacturers and airlines, and other professional service providers.
Extensive experience with issues involved in enforcement of arbitration clauses in business and healthcare agreements, under New Mexico law and the Federal Arbitration Act, and in state and federal courts. Won reversal on appeal of order denying arbitration. See Barron v. Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society, 2011-NMCA-094, 265 P.3d 720.
Represents clients in products liability litigation on diverse products and manufacturing processes including pharmaceuticals and diet drugs, medical devices, exercise equipment, aircraft components, food products, food service and equipment.