M. Christine FotopoulosPhone (416) 367-6092
Fax (416) 361-2469
Christine Fotopoulos is a partner in our Toronto office. Christine was called to the Ontario Bar in 1989. She graduated from the University of Western Ontario Law School (Dean's Honour List). Prior to that, she received a BA from the University of Toronto in 1984.
Areas of Practice
- Christine practises in the area of civil litigation with an emphasis on insurance defence work in the areas of professional negligence, personal injury, municipality liability, police liability, products liability and property and casualty insurance. She also practises commercial litigation and real estate related litigation.
Rankings and Recognitions
- Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2010 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada (Insurance Law)
- Extensive experience in the adversarial litigation process, including appearances as counsel at all levels of trial and appellate Courts in Ontario and at the Supreme Court of Canada, as well as with alternate dispute resolution, mediations and arbitrations;
- Act as counsel for a number of Canadian and American insurers, thereby developing a speciality in defence insurance and coverage work:
- Professional Liability:
- errors and omissions defence and coverage work for lawyers with an emphasis on civil litigation issues, commercial and real estate related litigation;
- errors and omissions defence and coverage work for other professionals, including accountants real estate agents and health care professionals.
- Property and Casualty Insurance and Products Liability Litigation:
- construction liability claims involving poor/negligent workmanship
- explosion damage cases and fire loss cases
- business interruption loss cases
- fraud cases
- defective workmanship/equipment/products cases
- alcohol liability issues, including the defence of bars/taverns/clubs, golf courses and homeowners
- providing coverage opinions
- subrogated actions
- claims pursuant to CGL policies, including consideration of property damage exclusions and business interruption losses.
- Municipal Liability/Police Liability
- representing municipalities in defence of liability claims relating to occupiers liability, automobile claims, general personal injuries, negligent design and non-repair of roadways;
- expertise in the area of duties of care owned by statutory public authorities and the distinction between policy and operational decisions of such bodies;
- defence of police officers and police services in respect of false arrest, malicious prosecution, negligent investigation, use of force and defamation claims.
- Personal Injury Litigation:
- automobile insurance defence litigation (TORT) including significant head injury cases involving both adults and infants; spinal chord injuries, fibromyalgia and chronic pain cases
- acting on the uninsured, unidentified and underinsured motorist coverage providing coverage opinions
- Commercial and Real Estate Related Litigation
Professional and Community Activities
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member of the Advocates' Society
- Editor and contributor to text Barristers and Solicitors in Practice – Professional Indemnity Chapter, 2008 .
- In progress, co-authoring text: Alcohol Liability in Canada.
- Presented papers and seminars to clients and organizations on occupiers' liability in the context of the service of alcohol, on personal injury matters, including Bill 164, Bill 59, Property damage exclusions, and issues relating to life and disability policies and professional negligence claims.